Berliner with Fruit and mold/pelicle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eboogey

Reaction score
I brewed a berliner weisse via the sour worting in the kettle method. I dropped the pH down to 3.4 and then boiled for 60 minutes. I then split the batch into 2 5 gallon batches so I would have a base version and one with blackberries and peaches. I chopped and froze the peaches and just froze the blackberries. I also left the skin on the peaches to capture some of that flavor/aroma. I didn't bother to sanitize/sterilize the fruit as I figured my 3.4 pH would protect me to some degree and if I got a little funk, so be it.

Can anyone tell me what this white film is? I wouldn't think it would be mold without much oxygen, but then again there was really no CO2 production by the time I racked onto the fruit. Did I just get some acid tolerant wild yeast from the fruit or is something else going on?

BlackberryPeachBerliner1.jpg

It's hard to tell, but my suspicion would be that you have a wild yeast and/or bacteria in there.

Is it hairy? If it is, then it's definitely mold. If not, there's a lower probability that it's mold.

I just added 4.5lbs of fresh raspberries to a berliner I made, kind of looks the same. I wouldn't worry about, nothing you can do now. It will probably taste awesome.

It looks like the lactic film coating the fruit, which is perfectly normal.
When I make my triple berry berliner it looks just like that.

No worries, carry on!

:rockin:

Thanks for the input. It should be tasty. The base beer has a clean sour flavor and I am going to dry hop that version.

You are most welcome!

What are you dryhopping with?

I have considered a couple things like sorachi ace and nelson, but haven't gotten to it yet.

:mug:

I'm going with Amarillo and citra. I think fruity tropical hops will be good for this. I got my inspiration from le terroir. I was also considering oak spirals but I want to evaluate this base version without too much interference.

Very nice!

If you get the chance, you will have to check back in to give us updates on how all went!

:tank:

Today I went dry hop my sour base beer and noticed something on the surface. This base beer was sour worted down to a pH of 3.4 and then boiled for 60 minutes. I followed my usual sanitation program but it appears it still got infected in some way. This is only my 2nd sour beer, but I have never had an infection in my 6 years of brewing. Maybe the extremely low hop level makes these beers a little more susceptible? I am guessing that even though I boiled the wort perhaps something else was contaminated with the 4 day souring process and I got post boil contamination? I suppose I just have to be careful not to transfer any of that layer into my keg?

Base Sour Beer.jpg

Latest posts

Back