berliner weisse smells like baby throwup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsopi

Reaction score
Made a Berliner weisse from extract. 6 pounds of wheat extract/5 gallon waters boiled. Yeast (Liquid) - Wyeast (Lactobacillus Buchneri) - 5335 Put in closet with heater room 80-90 for 5 days tasted in once a day till it was sour. Then let it cool to 78 and put a packet of 005 yeast . Let ferment( 18 days) as normal.Iit now has a little bit of a baby throw up smell. I kegged it any way tasts good but still smells a bit. What should I do next time to aviod this.

Thanks

Any oxygen that meets up with Lacto will produce butyric acid. You need to try to keep oxygen out of that fermentation.

Not sure you are correct there. Yes, keeping O2 out is good. If lacto produced butyric in the presence of 02, there could be lots of issues with yogurts.

Usually 'sick' notes are associated with clostridium. If he had used grains, I would have said that was the source, but since he used a culture, I'm confused.

Helibrewer is correct.

How to keep o2 out? Purge the headspace with co2. Drape the wort surface with plastic wrap. These are common tactics.

Back