Benefits of pasteurized extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dog_42

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new to HBT, so if this isn't the correct forum for this question, please let me know.

I was at my LHBS discussing my next step into brewing from a mini-mash to an AG, without spending a lot of money. He told me to skip the AG methods and just pasteurize the extract (with about 2-3 gal of water) in a separate pot and add it to my carboy, instead of just adding in BK before the boil. He also mentioned if he knew of this method, he may have skipped AG all together.

I know the method will kill of any living micro-organisms in my system, and depending on the temperature / length of time I pasteurize, I can prevent any burned sugars. But are there any other benefits to pasteurizing (i.e. preventing oxidation of the wort, etc)?

I'm confused...if you pasteurize your extract with water what are you doing different than a normal extract process?

I'm confused...if you pasteurize your extract with water what are you doing different than a normal extract process?

So the method I was told to use is to start with 2.5 gal and bring it to strike temp (155F for the recipe I was using), mash in my grains for 1 hour. After that's done, I bring it all to a boil and add my hops, then cool and add to the fermenter. In a second pot, I take another 2 gal and bring it to a boil. Kill the heat for about 1 min so the water comes to 180-190 and stir in the extract. Then maintain around 180 for 15 min to pasteurize the extract. Cool and add to the fermenter and top with water to make 5.25 gal.

When I first started using a partial mash process, I was told to add the extract in my boil kettle right before I add in hops.

There really is no benefit to boiling the extract for the entire time, thus so many people doing late additions. That's the logic you are using here and it makes sense. As far as any benefits from this, you'll get better hop utilization this way as well as a lighter color beer. If you don't mind dirtying two pots then go for it!

It seems like making extra work to me. But some things are directly related to how much kettle capacity you have I suppose. Anyway, it side steps your desire to move into AG. There are good reasons to make that step such as better control of the end product and cost savings (if you brew enough and can resist the toys). Obviously up front cost of AG and more time brewing (not applicable to you since you are partial mashing) are negatives.

There are so many ways to make beer and it depends mostly on what your goals are. Do you want to develop this into a hobby? Or are you just after simple, cheap beer? I'd spend some time reading as much as you can on HBT and several brewing books and then make some decisions. In my case I found extract brewing to be boring as you are letting someone else do the important stuff.

Agree with samc.. I'll add that I only did two extract beers before jumping to AG - but between my extract beers and my friends' beers none were ever as good as my AG beer. Not saying it can't be done, just saying that the quality of my beer improved dramatically by simply switching to AG.

I'll add one more thing, my closest homebrew shop doesn't cater much towards all-grain brewing. I think they make most of their money from selling brew kits and extract to beginners (as well as wine making supplies - big business in california being so close to so many vineyards). Anyways, when I asked them about buying sacks of grain I got the sense that it was out of their league and the prices I was quoted were not even remotely competitive. The point is, depending on the shop - they may have more interest from a business standpoint in convincing you to stick with extract.

I'll add one more thing, my closest homebrew shop doesn't cater much towards all-grain brewing. I think they make most of their money from selling brew kits and extract to beginners (as well as wine making supplies - big business in california being so close to so many vineyards). Anyways, when I asked them about buying sacks of grain I got the sense that it was out of their league and the prices I was quoted were not even remotely competitive. The point is, depending on the shop - they may have more interest from a business standpoint in convincing you to stick with extract.

Never thought of it from the operating perspective of the LHBS, but that makes sense. Although for the record, it seems like I should have asked this question in the "All Grain And Partial Mash Brewing" Forum. Rookie mistake. :(

Back