Below freezing temps on my new sprouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The10mmKid

Reaction score
They are about 6" and leafing out.

We're expecting two nights in the mid 20's, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Anything I can do?

Thanks,
'da Kid

View attachment 193153

Attachments

• daKid_Centennial_2014.jpg
    daKid_Centennial_2014.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 219
Cover them at night with a short term greenhouse. They are pretty hearty. First year?

These Centennials are the "Field Grade" crowns from Great Lakes Hops.
Purchased them as an 'end of season' offering last Fall. Planted them about two weeks before our first frost.

They were about this same size, didn't grow at all and dropped their leaves promptly after the frost. Followed their instructions, mulched over them before the snow fell and hoped for the best.

They are doing WAY better than the plants I purchased from the supplier in the 'reefer' state. I purchased a few rhizomes from my LHBS to fill in those spots that never woke up. $4ea . . . . . I couldn't say no!

'da Kid

+ 1 bucket theory.

I've also noticed with my plants that any shoots or bines that have been exposed to a late frost / snow / whathaveyou, if they survive, don't grow quite as well. When something like that happens I gradually trim those in favor of younger, healthier bines.

we have a bottled water place in town that sets leaky bottles out for anyone to take i got 6 5 gallon bottles this year and cut the bottoms out and placed over my green pepper and tomato plants untill chance of frost is gone. they make a great greenhouse.

We're expecting two nights (tonight and Tuesday) in the 20's and only daytime highs in mid 30's on Tuesday. My Cascades are already a foot tall and the bines are climbing twine. I just cut open some small trash can bags and some duct tape in order to encompass them without having to cut the twine. Used some small sticks to secure the bags to the ground. Same thing happened last year, and this method worked well.

We got below freezing here once already since the hops sprouted. We covered them with leaves and grass clippings. Worked perfectly.

Now, they are nose tall, and it's going to get to freezing tonight. I'm going to set up a little catalytic heater (camp heater) by them tonight.

Debated starting my own thread but it seemed like it wasn't really that worth it. I planted two new crowns (with sprouts) this past Sunday when it was close to 80 degrees - Columbus in the ground, and a freebie Fuggle in a 5 gallon bucket (by the way, thanks to Great Lakes Hops, you guys are awesome). I also have a Cascade, Mt. Hood, and Magnum in the ground, all in their 6th year grown from rhizomes, all have sprouted, but they're not really a concern to me at this point as they're well established. Of course I realized later Sunday evening we were to drop near freezing last night and then tonight into the low 20s. I put a bucket over the Columbus last night and actually never took it off today as it barely made it into the mid 30s this afternoon - it's 26 degrees right now. The Fuggle in the bucket had an inch of mulch over the top and therefore wasn't directly exposed but wasn't actually "covered." It's on our deck close to the house so it isn't totally out in the open but it isn't much warmer than open air.

The clincher is that it snowed close to 2" last night, and I figured it would melt off completely today. To my surprise the layer of mulch covering the Fuggle is actually still totally covered in snow, a half inch or so. As I said, it's going to be low 20s tonight, and is already well below freezing. Is there anything I should do at this point to give that plant a better chance, or given the mulch and snow and last night's freeze, would it be best to just RDWHAHB about it? I could move it into the garage but at this point it's been close to or below freezing for 24 hours now and is covered in snow. Is gradual warming (leaving it outside) best at this point, or should I pull it out of the deep freeze?

I would leave them be...snow is actually a good insulator. Although three plus days when the ground is the 20s may cause a problem. I would be more concerned if they were just fresh rhizomes but them being crowns definitely gives them a much higher chance of survival.

My worry was for naught. This past Monday night was around 30 and Tuesday night was in the mid teens. Covered the in ground Columbus with a bucket and left the Fuggle in a bucket with just a mulch covering. Today the Fuggle has 4 shoots above the mulch (2-3" growth since planting on Sunday) and looks fine, and the Columbus looks fine too. These buggers really are tough when it comes down to it.

They say the best wine comes from grapevines that have to struggle a bit... is there any similar wisdom for hops? Cause if so this could be a banner year for me :)

Back