Bells oberon yeast for porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemattb

Reaction score
From my research, it seems that bells uses the same house strain in most of its beers. I have some yeast cultured from oberon that I want to use in a porter. Has anyone done this? I have some Irish ale yeast too but that batch tasted nasty( I believe it's just the late addition fuggles I don't like), however Im hesitant to use that yeast. I also have an English yeast I could use too? I just love me some bells and would like to use that yeast.

I've really only used Bells house strain for IPAs, but there is no reason it wouldn't work great in a porter as well. I've had many different Bells beers and generally really like most of them.

Thanks for the reply! I opted to use the British ale yeast instead. I too think bells yeast would be ok, but the 005 might be better suited for a porter. Plus, I will soon be brewing a 2 heart clone and APA so my bells yeast will be busy this fall!

I think the British would be a great choice too. I had a fantastic porter a few weekends ago at Yoopers house, brewed by Tiber_Brew and now I think I need to brew one for myself for the fall. In fact, I might be feeling a bit under the weather this morning.. *Cough Cough*

Oh man, I better get home and take care of this illness! Don't want to spread it around the office! ;)

That sounds terrible. Hopefully you can rest and make a 5 gallon batch of "soup" to get through it! I got my porter made last night and will hopefully put that bells yeast to work eating my 2 heart clone Tuesday night!

So, do you live in the UP? I noticed the FSU bulldog! I almost went there but chose arizona Instead. I'm a yooper from Marquette and get back at least once a year.

I live in Reed City at the crossroads of US131 and US10. Graduated from Ferris in 98 and still attend the hockey games. My daughter almost went to Mich Tech. She attended a couple of summer camps, but decided it was too far away and way to cold and miserable in the winter! She chose Western in KZoo.

Thats good beer country! I havent had much Founders but my neighbor lived in GRR for a while and swears it's better than bell's. Sounds fishy to me... Im just lucky that Arizona is the one western state Bells ships to!

Back