American Stout Bell's Java Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbyount

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale American (US-05)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Tasting Notes
Coffee flavored stout of course!
This is Bell's Java Stout recipe. I didn't see it posted (if it is, my apologies to the OP). Was looking for a nice Java Stout and am a fan of Bell's (their General Store in Kalamazoo MI is a great place to shop for grains and more).

15# Pale Malt
1# Flaked Barley
1# 40L Crystal
1# Chocolate Malt
1# Roasted Barley
1 oz Centennial 60 minute boil
8 ounces ground coffee, 10 minute boil
Ferment with Safale American US-05

Compared this with a bottle of Bells and SWMBO and I could not tell the difference until the 3rd or 4th swallow and found this to be a bit smoother finish.

Beersmith gives this:
5.5 gal batch size
72% efficiency
1.074 SG
30.8 IBU
25.9 SRM
7.2 ABV

Carbed to 2.2 volumes

Last edited by a moderator:
I mashed at 154 for an hour. Haven't done a side by side yet. And to clarify, this is the recipe they gave me at Bell's General Store in Kalamazoo for their Java Stout.

Did the coffee mess with the head retention? I was wanting to make a coffe stout but was going to cold brew the coffe to keep the oils in check.

Depends upon what you define as head retention! :D

I don't believe so, but seeing is believing. So, because I could and to satisfy some of my OCD tendencies, I posted a video on youtube with the pour and just over 4 minutes of watching the head develop and drop. Of course I had to take a sip or two. 15 minutes after the pour, still drinking it, and I still have some head on the beer. I'm not sure offhand the posting rules about the link so will provide the url two ways, one with complete link: https://youtu.be/E8l9jqUquhQ, and here with the https:// left off: youtu.be/E8l9jqUquhQ

Forgive the background noise as SWMBO was enjoying Gray's Anatomy via Netflix. She likes the brew, and if she's happy, everybody's happy!

One more note. The coffee was ground on brewday. I would not use pre-ground coffee (so call me a coffee snob, I don't mind).

OOOOOOH this might have to be my next brew! Sounds awesome, might try and do it in 2 weeks vs 3 though.

So I did a heads up compare with the 'real' Bell's Java Stout. Much to my chagrin, my brew came up short. The coffee flavor was fine, but the finish on this recipe was not as smooth as the real deal. Head was a bit lighter as well. FWIW, it is still good. Not as good as the real deal (but I can experiment quite a bit given the retail price of $2/bottle for the real deal). I'm thinking next time I may put some oats in the mash for a richer head, substitute half of the roasted barley with Carafa III, and perhaps use 60L instead of 40L. Would love to know what others think.

I used Safale American US-05. My apologies for leaving that out of the OP, and now it is too late to edit it.

After my initial batch taste compare, I knew the recipe needed to be changed. With 'Pappers_' help (Jim is one of the moderators, can edit posts, and deserves a nice shout out) the recipe has been edited (changes made to the original post).

So, I made the new batch, bottled it, and tried it after only 1 week in the bottle (I was impatient). It was very good! So did a side by side compare with SWMBO with her not knowing which was which. She couldn't tell the difference. I couldn't until the 3rd or 4th swallow and found that my brew had a slightly mellower finish (with no disrespect to the fine folks at Bell's).

A side note. This was my first batch with a controlled fermentation temperature. I have hooked up a POS chest freezer courtesy of a big box 'used' appliance ($19 - love the price) with an STC1000 unit.

Gotta love this site. Happy brewing!
:mug:

After my initial batch taste compare, I knew the recipe needed to be changed. With 'Pappers_' help (Jim is one of the moderators, can edit posts, and deserves a nice shout out) the recipe has been edited (changes made to the original post).

So, I made the new batch, bottled it, and tried it after only 1 week in the bottle (I was impatient). It was very good! So did a side by side compare with SWMBO with her not knowing which was which. She couldn't tell the difference. I couldn't until the 3rd or 4th swallow and found that my brew had a slightly mellower finish (with no disrespect to the fine folks at Bell's).

A side note. This was my first batch with a controlled fermentation temperature. I have hooked up a POS chest freezer courtesy of a big box 'used' appliance ($19 - love the price) with an STC1000 unit.

Gotta love this site. Happy brewing!
:mug:

What temp did you ferment at? The original post says 3 weeks in primary and you mention a new fermentation chamber but I didn't see a temp setting. If i missed it can you please point it out for me?

EDIT: Also, maybe I'm just having a rough morning but I do not see any coffee in post #1 (post edit) and is it really only 1 hop charge at 60?

Nuts. I'll see if Pappers_ will edit the original post one more time :(.

8 ounces freshly ground coffee for the last 10 minutes of the boil. I fermented at 65 degrees.

And yes, 1 ounce hops for the 60 minute boil.

Nuts. I'll see if Pappers_ will edit the original post one more time :(.

8 ounces freshly ground coffee for the last 10 minutes of the boil. I fermented at 65 degrees.

And yes, 1 ounce hops for the 60 minute boil.

you are undoubtedly contributing negative flavors by boiling coffee for 10 minutes. SCAA specs are 195-205* for 4 minutes to proper extraction. My best advice would be to add grounds after flame out and immediately begin chilling or seek alternate methods to adding coffee.

Back