Belle Saison Yeast at lower temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMeThatBeer

Reaction score
Anyone ever used this yeast in the mid/low 60's? My fermentation temps are pretty stable, yet uncontrolled.

Looking to brew a lemongrass/ginger saison. But hoping to at least get some of the "saison-ish" elements from this yeast. (Backup plan is to just use US-05) trying to stick to dry yeast for this one for a number of reasons.

Any thoughts? Too cold for this yeast? Or do you think this yeast will still work at this temp, and I'll get something in the Saison family?
Thanks!
-beermethatbeer

It will ferment at those temps, but you will get much more of the true saison flavor. if you can ferment it warmer.

A very simple solution is to get a big cooler or a tub, fill it with water and put your fermenter in there. Then get an Aquarium heater to boost the temp. I use an Aqueon Pro 150 and can get the temps up to 88 degrees if I want. My basement is aout 60 right now and the saison that Is fermenting is at 85 degrees right now. I like to have several saisons ready for the warmer months.

It will ferment at those temps, but you will get much more of the true saison flavor. if you can ferment it warmer.

A very simple solution is to get a big cooler or a tub, fill it with water and put your fermenter in there. Then get an Aquarium heater to boost the temp. I use an Aqueon Pro 150 and can get the temps up to 88 degrees if I want. My basement is aout 60 right now and the saison that Is fermenting is at 85 degrees right now. I like to have several saisons ready for the warmer months.

Yup. I did this for a while and it worked great. Just be sure to check the water levels... if that heater gets out of the water it will stay on all the time and might be a fire danger or something. If I recall my stupidity correctly, I had the water level too low and just the heating part was submerged, but the thermometer part wasn't and it heated the water up to 110 or something crazy like that. (The beer came out fine... gotta love saison yeast!)

I'd go for higher temps to bring out the Saison character (esters!).

I use a heating pad around the carboy + a double layer of (large) bubble wrap. Temp control with an STC-1000. Probe under a piece of 3/8" packing foam, against the carboy. 28-33 °C.

Awesome, thanks all. Think ill give the aquarium heater a shot. Love "low tech" cheap/easy solutions . (Like my corona mill that i hand-crank!)

Ive got a sack of belgian 2row coming; pumped for winter saison!
Thx!
-beermethatbeer

I've brewed two batches with belle saison. Both came out awesome. The first one, a saison that I just left out at room temperature, the second an iipa fermented in low 60's. Both attenuated very well.

So far, love that yeast.

Back