Bell’s Two Hearted Ale...meh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHulen

Reaction score
I know I’m gonna get some crap for this, but what’s the big deal about this beer? I just picked up a 6 pack and tried it for the first time. Don’t get me wrong, It’s a good beer, very balanced. I like beers that are a balance of malt and hops.

However I can’t really say I’m wow’d by it. What’s with the cult following this beer has? Another thing I can say about it is that it hides its 7% ABV well. Other than that I find it a little boring. What am I missing here?

It's supposed to be as good as it gets when it's fresh and on tap. Check the date on the bottles, it may be old.

But I'm totally with you on underwhelming.
I've brewed 'clones' a few times, changing up kettle additions (whirlpool, baby) and dry hop amounts until it wasn't a recognizable clone anymore. Now that was some good memorable IPA!

I have the same thing with many popular craft beers, they're meh.
'Flat Tire' is another good example.

Many beers have this distinction nowadays. I recently had a Dogfishead 120.

Talk about trying to fit the old girl in a new dress.

Things change/evolve.

It's like SNPA. It's not a new trendy thing. It's classic. You can respect it for being a balanced classic, or you can think it's a boring dinosaur. Either side has its merits.

It's supposed to be as good as it gets when it's fresh and on tap. Check the date on the bottles, it may be old.
I have the same thing with many popular craft beers, they're meh.
'Flat Tire' is another good example.

Yes, and yes again.
I recently bought a 12pack of Oberon American wheat in cans and was disappointed to find the beer was nine months old. It might not have been the beer but it violates my "six month rule" on purchasing commercial or seasonal brews. I didn't find a printed date on the box (Clue #1) and only found out after inspecting the bottom of a can after taking it home.

NB's current brew didn't tickle me fancy, either. Might it have been BETTER when the original brewer was there? It's a thought.
Fat Tire seemed sort of weak on flavor and carbonation to me, and besides, even though I like the idea of a successful company looking out after employees, the veiled social justice bent of the one remaining original owner doesn't strike me favorably.
That said I love their glass bottle style and, as a bottler, had to save the empties.

Well, tons of people like Two hearted, because tons of people like it. I for one think it an excellent beer, and a regular go to for me when i go out. My brother hates to be in the room with it. NO ONE said you had to like it. It is not old and boring it is just a good IPA. Everyone is not going to like everything and obviously there are those above that don't care for it - no reason to dis it as archaic JUST because YOU don't like it. Tons of folks around here love M43 - I live nearby the brewery, it is common and trendy in my area, and I would not slop my hogs with that swill. All that means is I don't like it - doesn't mean others should not, and obviously MANY MANY do. Just cause i don't like does not mean it is not good, or enjoyed, or excellent or meh for that matter. It will be ALL these things to some people - guaranteed. For me, if it is meh, move on to another brew

It's like SNPA. It's not a new trendy thing. It's classic. You can respect it for being a balanced classic, or you can think it's a boring dinosaur. Either side has its merits.

I completely understand this, being something of a balanced classic myself. Of course, there are those who consider me a boring dinosaur. :rolleyes:

Seriously, the reason I started brewing was to brew the kinds of beer I liked, and to learn to brew them well and consistently. After 80-some batches, most of them the same 5 or 6 recipes brewed multiple times, I’m getting close to my goal. My thinking is: If you can't brew a beer the same way every time, how do you know you're a good brewer?

The same thinking applies, to a degree, to the craft breweries which seem to be hoping to score the next Flavor of the Week. Sure, there will be some beer drinkers who will proclaim the newest Strawberry Rhubarb Milkshake IIPA da Bomb. Good luck finding any more of it in six months, or so. Amazeballs Brewing will have replaced it with a Mango Alpo Passionfruit NEIPA, which will find some fans, only to be replaced by...lather, rinse, repeat.

The classics are classic for a reason. Lots of people like them and will continue to buy them. If craft brewers keep chasing the Untappd, Ratebeer and BA crowds there won't be any new classics. Variety is good, trying new things is good, but making the whole beer experience into a sort of scavenger hunt maybe isn't so good.

Love Bells Two Hearted. Recently had some Double Two Hearted as well as cask-conditioned Two Hearted (photo) so they are trying different things. Also big fan of Flat Tire, just really enjoy the balance of hops to malt.
20190324_185706.jpeg

Love Bells Two Hearted. Recently had some Double Two Hearted as well as cask-conditioned Two Hearted (photo) so they are trying different things. Also big fan of Flat Tire, just really enjoy the balance of hops to malt.View attachment 621836

Double Two hearted I’d be interested to try. Is that only on draft on location?

Yup, beer was much different back then. I still think it's delicious, especially when fresh. It's also a great "gateway IPA" though I suppose some of the New England stuff is taking that distinction now.

Yup, beer was much different back then. I still think it's delicious, especially when fresh. It's also a great "gateway IPA" though I suppose some of the New England stuff is taking that distinction now.

It’s crazy how beers like Sierra Nevada and RedHook ESB used to be considered boundary pushing. My foray into “real” beer was Guinness. Now when I drink Guinness it’s like water to me.

I like Two-Hearted. It's always the same, it's balanced for an IPA, and it's easy to get. It's not pushing any boundaries, but it's a solid drinkable beer.

I agree that it’s a good beer. I guess I was expecting something special because of all the acclaim it gets on the forum. There was a post a few days ago asking people to name their top 3 IPA’s and Two Hearted came up over and over.

Since I stated brewing I find most comercial bottle beer meh. At least I detect easier if they are fresh. A lot fewer are good to me.

It is a good middle of the road IPA and a consistent one at that. The problem is twofold as I see things.

1) Its more widely distributed now so the unicorn factor is gone. At leats thats true for me anyway. It only recently became distrubed here in Texas.
2) The craft beer explosion has made so many choices available that "middle of the road" doesnt get the same fanfare it used to.

And on point #2, this has contributed to aging beer on the shelf. This is really bad for IPA's that need to be enjoyed sooner. After sitting in the shelf for a few months they loose their thunder.

If you are going to try to clone it make sure you buy the hops direct from the Bell's online store. Bell's buys more centennial hops than anyone in the world and because of that they receive the prime harvest. David Curtis who operates the Bell's General Store is able to package some of the to sell online. They make all the difference in the world. A clone recipe from David Curtis can be found on the AHA website.

I agree, but I wouldn't fret about it too much, everyone has different tastes. It has only centennial hops, which are one of my least favorite varieties, so there you go.

I agree that it’s a good beer. I guess I was expecting something special because of all the acclaim it gets on the forum. There was a post a few days ago asking people to name their top 3 IPA’s and Two Hearted came up over and over.

I think that's it- it's at the top because you can walk into the local grocery store and get it off of the shelf, and it's good. It's just a good basic beer, balanced for an IPA, and not too floral (which I sometimes get with centennial hops). Nothing magical about it, nothing super remarkable, except for that. It's been the same for many years, and few things remain the same!

And for yet another datapoint, Basic Brewing (March 7, 2019 episode) did a batch with Bell's hops and one with "regular" homebrew centennial and they felt they could tell a difference.

Two Hearted is a very solid IPA. I recently did some binge IPA tastings to try and nail down a recipe (purchased 3 mixed 6 packs of IPAs). Two Hearted came out near the top of my list. It is amazing how many IPAs that I used to love, now register as overly sweet crystal bombs. Two Hearted has a very nice light malt bill with just a touch of biscuit character. I feel like that beer with just a bump of complexity on the hop bill would be incredible. I ended up brewing a Racer 5 clone with 4 C-hops...fermenting now.

I started drinking it when it was only available in 22 oz, bottles. Had a nice cake on the bottom of the bottle and volume varied by about two inches on the neck of each bottle just like its cousin Solsun. Could only be found in seven stores in Michigan's Lower Peninsula. Then Larry started to grow. Still one of my favorites when drinking commercial. Not sure how it travels, but Michiganders find it a favorite.

Was just at brick store this weekend as well!
Nice joint - my son lives in Atlanta so we make the rounds. Didn't try too many beers at the Brick Store as I had been drinking old ale at Orpheus earlier in the day. Needed to lighten it up [emoji38]

I've never had the real thing, but brewed up a clone of it last weekend that will get its dry hop today. First taste was pretty good although a bit grassy. Brewed it because I had a bunch of relatively fresh Centennial sitting around, and wanted to know what the hype was. Same thing happened when I had my first bottle of Pliny; I'd brewed the clone a few times before that, and mine tasted better to me (possibly because bottle was older, hard to get fresh Pliny out here).

Nice joint - my son lives in Atlanta so we make the rounds. Didn't try too many beers at the Brick Store as I had been drinking old ale at Orpheus earlier in the day. Needed to lighten it up [emoji38]
Its a nice place. Always a good selection of belgians!

And for yet another datapoint, Basic Brewing (March 7, 2019 episode) did a batch with Bell's hops and one with "regular" homebrew centennial and they felt they could tell a difference.

I did not remember them saying that when I watched the episode originally so I just watched the whole thing again. They did not brew one with Bells Centennial Select and another with "regular" homebrew centennial. And they made no comparisons so I don't know where you got that information.

I was very anti IPA several years back as the one or two examples that I tasted we're SO freaking bitter that it turned me off to the style completely. But then I kept seeing unreal love for the style and decided to try Two Hearted specifically. Wow!!! Smacked in the face with grapefruit character and the taste, while definitely bitter, actually had great flavor. It turned my opinion 180° on IPA's.

Now, after trying several more national and regional versions I have found a few go-to beers such as Hoppyum, DFH 90 minute, Lagunitas' A Little Sumpin Sumpin. Now I have to admit while Two Hearted is still a very solid example, it no longer wows my palate like it did initially.

I will still drink it anytime it presents itself. IMO it has lost some luster but is not close to 'meh' status. At least not yet.

I have a clone of it on my to brew list this spring.

I did not remember them saying that when I watched the episode originally so I just watched the whole thing again. They did not brew one with Bells Centennial Select and another with "regular" homebrew centennial. And they made no comparisons so I don't know where you got that information.

May I ask what is the date of the episode you watched? I'm not sure we are referring to the same thing.

Two Hearted is definitely one of my go to beers and has been since I was introduced to craft beer in 2008.

To me, Bells and Two Hearted are one of the originals, up there with Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, and Sam Adams.

The fact that I get a fairly fresh bottle or on draft and the flavor always takes me back to the first time I had it at the Biergarden in Asheville, NC. I've drank a lot of beers and if I can remember the first time in had one, it is definitely na special beer.

They talked about this in the podcast on this topic.

My take is that who knows what the grower, supplier, harvest year, etc. was of the hops from Steve's shop. It would not surprise me if you could get a noticeable difference between various sources of any hop variety. I suspect the version that Bell's sells are more consistently in line with the flavors they want, but not necessarily "better". The Brulosophy hops could have just been more similar to the Bell's selected ones.

In that same podcast they talked about some IBU results of Bell's lab testing on the "Hop Stand Bitterness Unit" idea. It is an interesting episode to listen too.

Maybe people set their expectations too high when a beer is highly touted.
Maybe many of us live to far from where a popular beer is brewed.
I too found Two Hearted to be average at best. And Fat Tire was totally underwhelming. SNPA - meh, But those have been around for a long time and things change. Maybe they just don't have the wow factor they once had. I haven't tried all the beers that these breweries put out but I like some of the less popular beers from a brewery often more that the highly touted older beer.

Let's face it, craft beer is very heavy on trends. In the IPA space, if a new beer with hop character similar to Two Hearted gets introduced on the scene, it might get enjoyed in the taproom at the brewery but it isn't going to generate any widespread hype. It's just not bombastic enough to do that.

But a good beer is a good beer. I regularly retreat back to beers like Two Hearted and SNPA because they're good for grounding yourself after drinking a bunch of crazy new stuff. Those old beers are seminal classics; very refined, no rough edges, consistently tasty. Things of beauty, IMO.

Back