Belhaven Wee Heavy Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In_Vino_Veritas

Reaction score
Has anyone tried cloning Belhaven Wee Heavy? I've looked online, but recipes are all over the place. This is the beer that got me into craft. Any help refining would be greatly appreciated.

Its been a long time since ive had a bellhaven wee heavy, but in general homebrewer wee heavy recipes (especially older ones) tend not to be very accurate, and a mess.

Since no one else has gotten back to you, my wild guess would be 1.065-1.070, 94% pale malt, golden promise or marris otter, 4% english 120L, 2% roast barley 500L. Mash at 156, using chloride over sulfate to hit mash ph. Take the first gallon of runnings and boil it down while stirring, until its almost a syrup. Then add the the rest of the runnings. Do a long boil like 3+ hours, and top off with RO water as needed. Aim for around 20-25IBU. No aroma hops. Use the scottish yeast and ferment at 60.

How about this?

Batch Size: 5.3 gal
ABV: 6.5%
OG: 1.073
FG: 1.023
IBU: 27
Color: 18 SRM

Grains:
12# Maris Otter Pale Malt
0.75# Crystal 60L
0.5# Victory Malt
0.25# Aromatic Malt
0.125# Black Patent Malt
0.125# Briess Roasted Barley

Boil:
Pull 1 mash gallon and reduce. Add full mash and boil for 3 hours, adding distilled waters as needed.

Hops:
0.75 East Kent Goldings @ 60 mins
0.75 Fuggles @ 60 mins
0.25 East Kent Goldings @ 30 mins
0.25 Fuggles @ 30 mins

Mash:
Rest 156 degrees F for 60 mins
Mash out 168 degrees F for 10 mins
Yeast:
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

I would say that the Victory and Aromatic are not necessary. The flavors that you get from those should come from the Maris Otter. You probably won't need will not need much if any crystal malt considering that you are reducing your first runnings. I've made a wee heavy 4-5 times and followed the same basic recipe every time. Comes out much like Traquair House Ale. I use Maris Otter to get a gravity near 1.080 and 3-4 oz of roasted barley for color. Mash at 152F. I reduce 1 gallon of first mash runnings to about a pint. Then ferment at ~60F.

I am interested in tring this as well. I also like White Streets Scottish Ale, if anyone has a clone of that I would love it.

Back