Belgium Travel Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been to both many times. Grote Dorst, due to its location and hours is definitely not strictly a tourist place. I would even go so far as to say Grote Dorst has a lot more locals than tourists, but it is just decidedly smaller.

They are very different places, and I personally have stopped going to DHVL largely due to their prices and them having taken on the attitudes of some of the **** lords who frequent their establishment.
I went twice to Grote Dorst on consecutive weekends one summer and the first Sunday it was super mellow with only locals and we sat next to some and had a great time. The second Sunday there were a lot more "tourists" -- people ordering multiple bottles and creating a long line. It wasn't as nice but it was still okay since there's room outside to sit. You just never know how it's going to be but I wouldn't avoid it, especially if you've never been.

Have an extra ticket to see Greta Van Fleet in Brussels on March 27th if anyone is in town and interested in joining me. Cheers

Headed up midday to open a couple bottles at Cantillon too

So i've skimmed and read most, if not all, of this thread and I still havent been able to answer a few questions.
Does anyone have any experience getting to and from Girardin and/or De Cam without a car? (I am aware that Girardin is to-go only).

I remember Uber being pretty easy to get in Brussels so I suppose I could take Uber to each location, but if I were to do that would it be possible to get an Uber back into town once I was dropped off?

Im not sure how doable Girardin will be, but I do want to go to De Cam as I have yet to go. The ideal plan would be to do De Cam during their open hours, dinner at DHVL, and then take the train back to Brussels. I will likely skip Grote Dorst as I will be traveling with my partner who isnt a big lambic enthusiast (yet), but if Uber seems doable in the countryside I may try to squeeze that in as well. Am I being a bit too idealistic here?

So i've skimmed and read most, if not all, of this thread and I still havent been able to answer a few questions.
Does anyone have any experience getting to and from Girardin and/or De Cam without a car? (I am aware that Girardin is to-go only).

I remember Uber being pretty easy to get in Brussels so I suppose I could take Uber to each location, but if I were to do that would it be possible to get an Uber back into town once I was dropped off?

Im not sure how doable Girardin will be, but I do want to go to De Cam as I have yet to go. The ideal plan would be to do De Cam during their open hours, dinner at DHVL, and then take the train back to Brussels. I will likely skip Grote Dorst as I will be traveling with my partner who isnt a big lambic enthusiast (yet), but if Uber seems doable in the countryside I may try to squeeze that in as well. Am I being a bit too idealistic here?
Yes to Uber, otherwise it's a pain, at least for de cam. Last time I rented a bike, which was fun, though a hectic ride back to Brussels to return it in time. Public transportation involves busses, which I always hate when I can't speak the language, but if that doesn't bother you then maybe it's doable?

Keep in mind with De Cam that you're at Kurt's whims. He was... less than enthusiastic when we went there. I've heard similar from other people. It was neat (although I was there with Raff so I think we got somewhat special treatment), but if it's logistically a hassle then I'd say don't bother, given the odds that you'll just be grumped out of there.

Keep in mind with De Cam that you're at Kurt's whims. He was... less than enthusiastic when we went there. I've heard similar from other people. It was neat (although I was there with Raff so I think we got somewhat special treatment), but if it's logistically a hassle then I'd say don't bother, given the odds that you'll just be grumped out of there.
Man, he was super nice to me, both times I've been.

Yes to Uber, otherwise it's a pain, at least for de cam. Last time I rented a bike, which was fun, though a hectic ride back to Brussels to return it in time. Public transportation involves busses, which I always hate when I can't speak the language, but if that doesn't bother you then maybe it's doable?

Have you taken uber to de cem before? Were you able to grab an uber in Gooik back to Brussels (or anywhere other than Gooik)? Im not ruling out buses but they would certainly be a last option.

That seems on par with Belgian service, being at the whim of the proprietor. I havent heard any negative reviews of people who have visited though. Given their hours I dont anticipate spending more than a few hours there, but the cafe is on my lambic bucket list and i'd love to grab some bottles of Lambiek and Geuze to bring home. Fair point though, and if it seems like a hassle I may end up skipping it in favor of Grote Dorst which seems equally as doable without a car.

Have you taken uber to de cem before? Were you able to grab an uber in Gooik back to Brussels (or anywhere other than Gooik)? Im not ruling out buses but they would certainly be a last option.

That seems on par with Belgian service, being at the whim of the proprietor. I havent heard any negative reviews of people who have visited though. Given their hours I dont anticipate spending more than a few hours there, but the cafe is on my lambic bucket list and i'd love to grab some bottles of Lambiek and Geuze to bring home. Fair point though, and if it seems like a hassle I may end up skipping it in favor of Grote Dorst which seems equally as doable without a car.
No, I've driven and biked. I did look at Uber in the country and it reaches pretty far out from Brussels. I think you'd be fine.

Man, he was super nice to me, both times I've been.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When I went he clearly didn't really want to be talking to us, and I've heard similar from other people. Our experience may be the odd one out but I wanted to warn him.
Given their hours I dont anticipate spending more than a few hours there
Unless it's a new space I can virtually guarantee that, it would be hard to. Well unless Karel likes you and chats you up forever!
Grote Dorst which seems equally as doable without a car.
There's a bus that goes close to Grote Dorst, at least, De Cam is a bit farther out in the country (at least IIRC, I was following a guy in our rental car and it sure felt out there) so I'm not sure that's as doable.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When I went he clearly didn't really want to be talking to us, and I've heard similar from other people. Our experience may be the odd one out but I wanted to warn him.

Unless it's a new space I can virtually guarantee that, it would be hard to. Well unless Karel likes you and chats you up forever!

There's a bus that goes close to Grote Dorst, at least, De Cam is a bit farther out in the country (at least IIRC, I was following a guy in our rental car and it sure felt out there) so I'm not sure that's as doable.

I have a pretty charming face and an appreciation for the bagpipes, we'll see how it goes.
Thanks for your help.

*Karel’s
*Raf

I have a pretty charming face and an appreciation for the bagpipes, we'll see how it goes.
Thanks for your help.

It all depends how busy he is and it has occurred that he's not to keen on talking to much to foreign beer tourist and ends up chatting with me (local) but just keep in mind thats its pretty much a one man show and no matter how much you love beer and everything related I can imagine sometimes your just a little tired of it. And some visitors to tend to stick around for a very long time, remember there are no chairs or anything, you pretty much stand around and watch him work.

When would you be visiting De Cam? You can skip the cafe next door, not worth the visit anymore. Try this place instead, one of my local bars and wonderful on a sunny day with great outside seating and its been there for decades.

https://www.ratebeer.com/p/in-den-haas-gooik/32700/

Save yourself the hassle and rent a car in Brussels, public transport is a nightmare especially on a sunday.

It all depends how busy he is and it has occurred that he's not to keen on talking to much to foreign beer tourist and ends up chatting with me (local) but just keep in mind thats its pretty much a one man show and no matter how much you love beer and everything related I can imagine sometimes your just a little tired of it. And some visitors to tend to stick around for a very long time, remember there are no chairs or anything, you pretty much stand around and watch him work.

When would you be visiting De Cam? You can skip the cafe next door, not worth the visit anymore. Try this place instead, one of my local bars and wonderful on a sunny day with great outside seating and its been there for decades.

Save yourself the hassle and rent a car in Brussels, public transport is a nightmare especially on a sunday.

I get being annoyed, but I honestly don’t accept it. If you’re going to be open to having people in, people that are driving your business, suck it up and be affable. There are plenty of brewers w ten times the business who are friendly. Or, get someone to run visits for you who can smile once in a while.

Thanks for your insight, I really appreciate it. If I choose to visit De Cam it would be early Sunday afternoon before making my way to DHVL.

A bit disappointing to read it may not be entirely worth the hassle of getting to and from Gooik. I may have to reconsider if taking Uber both there and back doesn’t seem entirely doable.

Thanks for the recommendation for In den Haas.

I get being annoyed, but I honestly don’t accept it. If you’re going to be open to having people in, people that are driving your business, suck it up and be affable. There are plenty of brewers w ten times the business who are friendly. Or, get someone to run visits for
you who can smile once in a while.

That’s fair. In some ways I have come to appreciate that attitude in European businesses. No ********, no frills, just their product and you can enjoy it if you like or eat **** if you don’t. Obviously don’t like being dogged out of an establishment but I wouldn’t demand an artist be nice while I buy their painting. I see the same for geuze. It’s a bonus when the brewer/blender is as nice as some are (e.g. Armand).

I really do think you should check it out, no matter how much of a hassle it is! I've been going for years and well De Cam is in my opinion the best lambic experience you can get, you pretty much walk straight into the warehouse and seeing those ancient Pilsner barrels in the next room is so cool! Best time to visit would be right when he opens up (3Pm)

Took a buddy from NH to De Cam and went straight to DHVL after and well it doesn't really get any better. Shoot me a PM if you need any local help.

Does anybody know whether 3 Fonteinen, Cantillon or Moeder Lambic have different opening hours the Saturday before Eastern (March 31st)?

Planning to spend the day and night in Brussels with some friends and it just occured to me I may have picked the wrong weekend.

Finally booked our bnb in Brussels for the Quintessence trip, so I'm ready to pour over this thread. Five minute walk from Moeder Lambic!

Something I assume was probably not covered much that I would appreciate would be any tips for things to do with kids (6 and 3). My sister in law is tagging along, so we have a sitter for a couple days, but we'll still be looking for kid-friendly things to do.

Finally booked our bnb in Brussels for the Quintessence trip, so I'm ready to pour over this thread. Five minute walk from Moeder Lambic!

Something I assume was probably not covered much that I would appreciate would be any tips for things to do with kids (6 and 3). My sister in law is tagging along, so we have a sitter for a couple days, but we'll still be looking for kid-friendly things to do.
I know Cantillon served me lambic when I was 10
3 may be pushing it though

It's been 25 years since I was a child in Brussels (and not that young), but... Mannekin Pis (snicker), Legoland, Frites.

The war museum and car museum are really cool and right next to each other in a beautiful park

Phew. Finished the whole thread. Amazing resource; thanks to all who have contributed.

My rough itinerary is:
4/30: Arrive around noon. Scope out the city, eat a good dinner w/ party, prepare for Quintessence.
5/1: Quintessence and associated frivolity w/ friends. (wife, sister in law, kids to zoo in Antwerp for the day)
5/2: Sitter day. Car rental w/ day trip to Fantome (assuming I can coordinate) w/ wife and friends. Maybe Tilquin since I'll have a car? Possibly Ought @ Botanique that night.
5/3: up for grabs. Probably Bruges or Gent w/ the family (friends head to Amsterdam)
5/4: Head to London
5/8: Return to Brussels to fly out 5/9 am.

A few questions, and I also welcome any tips/advice not specifically solicited:

(1) I will have 4 empty checked bags available for bottle stocking. Per the good advice from some TBers in the Quintessence thread, I plan to stash those in a locker while visiting London. I am not concerned about bringing whales home. I'd just love to accumulate some lambic (and tomes) while I can take advantage of checked bags. I gather to-go bottles from the sources will be the best bet here, but what impact does Quintessence (and NoGT) have on this? It would be a bummer to not be able to make use of those bags. I could always make my rounds on 5/8 when I return if those few days would make a difference?

(2) Not much discussion of Fantome visits. Can anyone suggest any restaurants for lunch/dinner on that trip? It looks like Hotton is probably the closest area with multiple options? Rochefort seems reasonably close?

(3) Almost no discussion of Tilquin. It's a bit inconvenient compared to other options, but maybe it will be worth a stop since I will have a car that one day? Any impressions of whether it'd be worth the stop?

Thanks in advance!

Tilquin is only open on Saturdays for a few hours unless you have 10 people for a one-off tour on a different day. Never hurts to ask though.

Fantome is similar in terms of limited hours (can't remember specifics, only been there once), but recommend reaching out to Dany as he may be able to accommodate.

Can't go wrong with Bruges or Ghent.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a good breakfast spot in the Manneken Pis area? Also ISO chocolate recs. It's probably been handled in this thread before but I can't seem to find it.

Back