Belgium Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdb7098

Reaction score
Brewed a Saison a couple of weeks ago and after a not terribly vigorous primary ferment and a putzy secondary where I was having a hard time getting a gravity reading below 1.030 I decided to read up on this yeast strain. Turns out it likes temps between 70-92. Wow. It was in my basement where the summer temp, even during the heat wave, is at 68. That seems to explain the slow ferment so moved the carboy to the garage where the temp is in the mid-80s, and it is much happier. Here's my question. I'm leaving tomorrow for a week, should I return the brew to the basement where it can, hopefully, finish out or should I leave it in the hot garage and risk some off favors from the heat and possible contamination?

If it was 3724 yeast, that stuff likes it hot. Leave it in the garage. You are not going to get off flavors from the heat, and if your airlock is in place there is not risk of contamination.

+1 to the above and don't be surprised if it takes 3-4 weeks to finally finish. You will be rewarded with an amazing Saison in the end, that yeast is a beast and should finish low, mine typically finish at 1.004-6

Yup, it's the 3724. It's rocking more now than it did during the primary. I'll leave it in the garage. Thanks a ton.

Back