Belgian yeast with American amber malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollermt

Reaction score
I'm considering trying a Belgian yeast in an American amber I've made before, in part to better understand the yeast's qualities and characteristics. I've seen Belgian IPAs but haven't seen anything on the forums combining Belgian yeast with an amber malt profile. I think that many dubbels have a similar color and maltiness to amber ales, even if the specific ingredients are different.

I'm torn - will the traditionally dry finish of a dubbel combined with the relative sweetness of an amber make for an interesting combination, or will they fight with each other?

Has anyone tried something like this before? Any beer recommendations I should go out and buy to try?

I can't say I've made any recipes like this, or even tasted commercial examples (not that I can remember off the top of my head, anyway), but it sounds like a fine idea. Use your mash profile to determine the kind of character you'd like. Do you have a specific recipe in mind?

Here's the recipe I'm planning to make. It is based off of Jamil's Evil Twin:

8# LME
1# Munich
1# Victory
.5# Crystal 40
.5# Pale Chocolate
.25# Crystal 120

1 oz Willamette Hops at 60, 20, 10, 0

In the past I've used Safale US-05 which is a pretty clean yeast. Is it a bad idea to try this with Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey? My fear is that the aromas would be muddled because there are too many elements fighting with each other. Belgians are usually simple for a reason, right? I'll probably give this a try regardless, but I'm hoping for any advice on subtle adjustments that could make it a better experiment.

My fat tire recipe is much better when I use wlp530 rather than a traditional English or American yeast. So, yeah, I think it works well.

GuldTuborg - do you mean to mash a little high or a little low to control the sweetness/dryness? I think I understand but just want to be sure.

Exactly. If you want the "traditional" dryer and well attenuated beer, mash around 148 or so. If you're looking for a fuller body, try 154-156 or so. If you plan on using a fair amount of crystal, you can try mashing low, and let the crystal and a higher than usual level of carbonation build body for you. That would probably make for an easy drinking beer that still has a good balance of flavors and mouthfeel. It might make for a nicely balanced beer. But, that's just a thought.

Back