Belgian Xmas ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBrew13

Reaction score
I've seen some different recipes on here and have decided to make one for my family this year. Basically what I'm looking for is something dark and spiced like a dubbel with spice additions.

Who has actually made something similar that can throw some suggestions my way?

I have a recipe for my dubbel or my dark strong ale already. If I'm just going to add spices and such that's ok too. Just looking for real world input.

Thinking cinnamon, allspice, vanilla, orange peel, anise, licorice, clove.

Cheers

Belgian Christmas or holiday ales are typically not spiced like American versions are. I have a Xmas belgian fermenting right now, the only thing different I did to my base golden strong recipe, was to use a darker amber belgian candy sugar, upped my coriander additions, and added a
Slight amount of ginger.

If your base recipe is solid, all you need to do is add slight "special ingredient" additions, to make traditional belgian Xmas/holiday ales.

To me, American Xmas ales are TOO spiced, times it's more like a nutmeg/allspice tea than a beer.

Of course if you like that style, then by all means go for it, it is your beer after all. Just make sure your base recipe is solid and can stand on its own, else the over the top spice additions will do more to hurt than help.

It sounds like you have a solid recipe, and a direction you want to go. Just go for it. My only word of advice would be to start with small additions. It is better to drink and say "it's nice, but could use more xxxxxx" rather than say "this is awful, I can't drink this, all I can taste is xxxxx"

Thinking cinnamon, allspice, vanilla, orange peel, anise, licorice, clove.

Cheers

Personally I think that's too many spices. Licorice and clove are very strong. If it were me I'd just add some cinnamon, vanilla and orange peel. Or maybe cinnamon, ginger and orange peel. Good luck!

Yes I agree...those were just off the top of my head spice ideas. I'd never put them all in. It'd taste like mince meat otherwise.

Why not instead of spice, try some rum or bourbon soaked oak in a dubbel?

Just a thought?

I've been oak aging a bunch of brews since I received some honey comb sticks from black swan cooperage.

Back