Belgian Witbier - Orange & coriander step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerialmedical

Reaction score
For a Belgian Witbier recipe - it calls for the orange and coriander to be added towards the end of the boil...is that straight into the wort or to be added into the boil bag to reduce the small orange particles in the brew?

Thanks all.

Its the same, point is to boil them.
Any trub, including orange peel will settle down during the fermentation.

Either is fine. I use a fine strainer so that doesn't even get them in primary, but you'll seill rack off them later.

It did tell you to crush the corriander some, right?

Thanks, guys. Right, the coriander will be crushed so I guess a boiling bag wouldn't make a difference with the particles there. Is it preferred to let the orange go in with the primary to take on more of the orange flavor or is most of the flavor obtained during the boil?

I usually go with 1 oucnce orage (sometimes a mix of bitter and sweet) at about 10 mins. The corriander I crush like crazy and add at 5 mins, but you might want a coarser crush until you get the hang of how much adds what flavor.

Back