Belgian Wit Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furryjeff1

Reaction score
I want to brew a recipe from a previous thread here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/brasserie-lefes-blanche-de-bruxelles-wit-184358/

I don't understand some of the terminology used:

Step Type Temperature Duration
Rest at 95 degF 30
Raise by direct heating to 122 degF 20
Rest at 122 degF 30
Raise by direct heating to 149 degF 20
Rest at 149 degF 70
Raise to and Mash out at 165 degF 10

I think that this is information on multi step infusion, but I'm not sure of the technique.

The there is this:

"Sparge 170 til it gets right!"

What sort of sparge? What does "till it gets right" mean?

You are on the right track. This is a step mash.

Basically mash in your grain with hot liquor to reach 95* for 30 min. Decant some of the wort and heat it, or directly heat the wort to hit the next target of 122* for 20 mins. The rest continues in the same fashion. After its all done the mash, drain to kettle and move on to sparge.

Sparge you can do batch or fly, but you are adding water hot enough to hit 170 in the mash tun. The til it gets right implies to me that you add enough water to get your target volume in the kettle...

Good luck. If you don't want to screw with the step mash just go for 151 or so for an hour and see how it goes. I've found that to work well enough that I never step mash. YMMV.

"Raise by direct heating" means to heat it up. If your tun won't take direct heat (like if you're using a cooler), you can add boiling water infusions. (I did this on a Stone 02.02.02 clone, the only witbier I've made so far.) You can calculate it by hand if you don't want to use brewing software.

furryjeff1 said:
What sort of sparge?

Whichever you'd like.

furryjeff1 said:
What does "till it gets right" mean?

Until you're done.

Back