Belgian Triple -Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddStark

Reaction score
I plan on doing a Belgian Triple this weekend. I am being told I will have an OG from like 1.075 to 1.090. The Yeast I got is the Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey.

A Calculator I found said if I use a stir plate and two packages of this yeast with 2l starter I should have enough cells.

Finally my question, can I put both smack packs in the same 2l starter or do am I supposed to put one pack per 2l starter?

I plan on doing a Belgian Triple this weekend. I am being told I will have an OG from like 1.075 to 1.090. The Yeast I got is the Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey.

A Calculator I found said if I use a stir plate and two packages of this yeast with 2l starter I should have enough cells.

Finally my question, can I put both smack packs in the same 2l starter or do am I supposed to put one pack per 2l starter?

I'm fermenting a Blue Chimay with Wyeast 1214. I used one smack pack with a 3.75L @ 1.081 gravity. Plus, I overbuilt the starter so as I could pour off a quart for another brew.

You can use two smack packs, buy why? Just add more DME and save the extra one for another brew.

I think you answered your question in your post. Two packs in a two liter starter.

Or you could just build up a stepped starter from one as stated above.

if the starter says 200 billion cells less date losses to start you would put it in the same starter

sorry just replying now but thank you all for your input.
I ended up putting both packs in a 2000 ml starter on a stir plate yesterday afternoon. My Wert came in at 1.095 this morning and I tossed the starter yeast in after it had 17 hrs on the the stir plate. Two hours later I had activity in my airlock so looking good so far.

Latest posts

Back