Belgian Tripel Racking question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snoogles

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm still new to this (this is my second brew) So I'm just looking for a little advice. I've got a Belgian tripel that I brewed 2 weeks ago with a SG of 1.084. Just checked the gravity today and its about 1.09 thanks do a huge yeast starter :) It's nice and clear and tasted really good. Should I let it sit another week, rack to secondary or just bottle and let it bottle condition? Not sure how to proceed... Thanks for any help guys.

I am assuming you meant 1.009.

I would just let it sit for another couple of weeks. You probably are close to FG but give the yeast some time and it may still bring it down a point or two lower. Belgians like some time. I usually give them about 6 weeks before bottling.

Once they are bottled, give them some time. I am talking months not weeks. Belgians are just so differrent than most brews, they really change for the better with some age.

I have my triple (og 1.083) fermenting with 3878 for a week now, normally i would leave it in primary for 4-6weeks but i will need my fermenting carboys sooner than that so im gona transfer to 2ndary after 2.5 weeks and let it sit for 3-4 more weeks, then bottle

Ok, yeah I meant 1.009 haha. Ok so both of you guys are saying to NOT rack to secondary, just leave it in the primary for a good amount of time. Just out of curiosity, why would I not rack to a secondary for this beer?

There really is no need to rack to a secondary unless you need the fermenter. A lot of us have come to the conclusion, just leaving the brew in the primary works just fine.

I have one carboy that I dedicated to brewing Belgians, so I can keep my other fermenters for most of the regular brews I do. I pretty much leave them approximately 6 weeks and then bottle, and fill the fermenter again. Works for me.

Back