Belgian Pale Malt Substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdog44450

Reaction score
I'm making a Fat Tire clone that calls for "Pale Malt (2-Row) Bel" but the website I order from does not have it and the websites that do will cost so much it won't be worth trying the recipe.

I'm looking to substitute it with Northwest Pale Ale Malt, which a few websites say can be used for Amber Ales. Would this be a logical substitution or would I be better off just doing a straight up 2 row base?
http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/802619.htm

German malt would be very similar and available, like Weyermann Pale Malt.

You should be fine with the Northwest pale ale malt especially in that recipe - that's Great Western, right?. If so it's similar lovibond to Castle and Dingemans pale ale malts. American 2-row would also be acceptable but lighter, the pale ale malt should be closer.

You should be fine with the Northwest pale ale malt especially in that recipe - that's Great Western, right?. If so it's similar lovibond to Castle and Dingemans pale ale malts. American 2-row would also be acceptable but lighter, the pale ale malt should be closer.

Yes it is great western. I was thinking the same that straight up 2 row would be too light color and body-wise for an amber. I will definitely go for the northwest pale ale malt since it's literally cents more expensive. Thanks for the input!

Latest posts

Back