Belgian IPA recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxtrot

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has brewed an IPA using Belgian yeast and what the result was like. Seems like it would be an interesting mix of flavors. Maybe ferment at lower temps to keep the esters from competing too much with the hops?

The idea seems interesting, like you said you want a harmony between hops and yeast character. Belgian brewers use Styrian Goldings, Hallertau, Tettnang and other hops, you could use these hops but just add more of them, that would still keep the beer "Belgian" and, at the same, time unique. The one problem I see in this is when you ferment at lower temps with Belgian yeast it will not attenuate to a low finishing gravity, so the beer might end up a little sweeter but that can be balanced by hop bitterness.

Hmmmm, that does sound like an interesting experiment.

I'm wondering just how much something like WLP400 would help do balance out a large hop bill.

I've done it, kind of. I used strisselspalt and polish marynka and just went crazy with them. I used WLP500 yeast. The combination was reallllly good and I have it on tap right now. It's very citrusy, spicy and earthy with a nice malt profile as well. The yeast complimented these hops well. The IBU's aren't quite IPA level, but really high for a belgian and I even dry hopped with the strisselspalt.

Sounds great!

Can I ask what the malt bill looked like? Did you add sugar for alcohol stength?

My first beer was supposed to be an IPA and ended up becoming a Belgian mostly by accident. Since it was my first beer I used crystal and amber DME with 6 total ounces of hops, 4 of which were Galena (alpha acid of 13%) and 2 of which were Mt. Hood (alpha acid of like 10 or 11%). Then I used an American Ale yeast, just some generic stuff. After that I dry hopped some Galena for good measure.

Like I said, first brew. I was getting paranoid that the airlock wasn't bubbling to my satisfaction after 24 hours, so I freaked out and tossed in a spare Wyeast Farmhouse Saison yeast. The end result was an seriously bitter IPA with the banana and clove profile of a Belgian. Very interesting stuff - it went over well. Whenever my family visited or vice versa they'd always ask for it and turn down my other home brews. : / It went really well with a lemon and lime slice.

I've brewed one and was very happy with the results. It reminds me a lot of the Houblon Chouffe. The recipe is in the Database here.

If available in your area, there are a few commercial examples that you can sample that are quite good. Urthel Hop-It, Taras Boulba and the Houblon Chouffe that I mentioned earler.

Houblon Chouffe uses Amarillo, Tomahawk and Saaz
Urthel Hop-it uses Magnum, Spalt and Saaz
Not sure what hops Taras Boulba is using but I get a distinct citrus hop character.

I like both recipes. Don't think I can get those hops (Marynka or Stisslespalt) in my neck of the woods though. I'll have to improvise somewhat. Wondering what the difference would be using a nice 2 row like Maris Otter vs. Pilsner would yield. Thanks all for the input!

You can get em at nothernbrewer.com .. that's where I got em. Marris Otter would add a sweeter malty profile. I'd stick with Pils. You are gonna get so much flavor from the hops and yeast that it'll turn into a "kitchen sink" beer if you aren't carful.

Question for the more informed than I...

I just got the grain bill to do a Belgian IPA as a surprise from SWMBO. I just picked up a 1.5lbs of wet Simcoe, so I was wondering if I could brew a Belgian Wet Hopped IPA and what Hop Additions/Amounts would y'all recommend? Is this a terrible idea?

Here is the Grain Bill:
5# Belgian Pilsner
5# Belgian Pale Ale
1.5# Belgian Cara-Vienne
1# German Wheat

Yeast: Wyeast 3711 (French Saison)

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

I just made the following ale, it is down to 1.007 and the sample tasted great, a very unique spicy/earthy/apricot aroma to it. It's going to be great.

12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
6.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain
3.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain
3.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain
2.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain
1.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain
4.00 lb Cane Sugar (end of boil)

1.5 oz columbus at 60

1/2 oz perle @ 25
1/2 oz styrian golding @ 25
1 oz willamette @ 25

1/2 oz perle @ 15
1/2 oz styrian golding @ 15
1 oz willamette @15

1/2 oz perle @ 10
1/2 oz styrian golding @10
1 oz willamette @10

1/2 oz perle @5
1/2 oz styrian golding @5
1 oz willamette @5

Held mash at 150.0 F for 180 minutes
OG = 1.075
IBU = 50.6
yeast = chimay

Vienna makes an excellent base for Belgian IPA's. King Brian I's Amber Syrup also makes a great recipe addition. It's also important to remember not all Belgian Ale yeasts are created equal.

I know that folks like the meld the traditional Trippel and American IPA styles; however, my best experiences have come when choosing to brew either a heavily-hopped Trippel/Golden Ale or American IPA with Belgian yeast.... *accommodate grain bill accordingly*. Meshing the styles may work, but more often produces a chaotic beer.

The great thing about Belgian IPA's, IMO, is that you can produce a high ABV and super hoppy beer that still finishes dry.

I also substituted a Belgian Ale yeast for Ringwood and California Ale V in a 90 Minute IPA and Old Foghorn clones, respectively. It produces a taut drinkable beer, despite the heat. I prefer Calo-Belgique to any of Stone's other IPA's, so next I would like to brew Stone's IPA with Belgian yeast, instead of the Whitbread or Chico strain.

I prefer English Ale yeasts and inspired beers to Belgian ones, generally. But I think big American Ales - heavily hopped, with relatively simple grain bills - benefit from the funky esters incorporated into the malt and the dry finish. I guess that's deserved to the yeast's ability to ferment at higher temperatures.

If you like the concept of the Belgian / IPA cross, try the New Belgium Brewing Co's BELGO... it's pretty tasty for a commercial microbrew. :)

Back