Belgian Golden, stuck at 1.030, suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jamil no doubt realizes that a slight underpitching with Belgian yeast really develops the quintessential estery/phenolic character.
Funny because that is the best reason to use warmer temps in the first place. Some great brewers disagree with that statement in any case..

Warmer temps can also create fusel alcohols...lovely hangover juice. There are many different thoughts on the process and no one is to say one is right...one practice that works for me may not work for another and there are practices I stay away from that make wonderful beer for some of my colleagues.

I go against the grain because I tend to ferment my belgians on the low side (60s, sometimes going in the low 70s at the end of fermentation.) This gives you all the belgian character, but makes for a very smooth, refreshing beer. No wild, crazy esters, but still all the character you need.

In any case, I'd say extract is definitely part of the problem and, believeinsteve, you are almost at 70% attenuation, so it may just be done. How does it taste?

Anyway, in my experience, Conroe, a low pitching temperature won't negatively affect your yeast, as I pitch EVERYTHING in the 60s and ferment there as well. And I have made dozens of fantastic belgian beers.

Funny because that is the best reason to use warmer temps in the first place. Some great brewers disagree with that statement in any case..

The pitching rates noted in BLaM suggest otherwise, but as DB has so aptly stated, there are different ways to achieve the same end. Brewing is about choices.

I'm pretty sure my problems were partially due to an all extract brew. I told myself I wasn't going to buy any more ingredients until i got some groundwork done for my sculpture. So I had a bunch of extract stuff and decided to put it to use.

The taste isn't bad. It tastes great actually. But its not what I was wanting. I was really hoping to get it nice and dry. But, now i know and it's still good.

Latest posts

Back