Belgian golden strong trouble shooting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
I would like to get your opinions on brewing a Belgian golden strong..I always had a problem with under attenuation with this style possibly due to under pitching,stressed yeast that quits, too cool a temp, and not allowing enough time on the yeast..Anyway I learned that this style or I should say this yeast (1388) is a quitter if you do not inspire it or give it the right conditions to ferment out the beer...Being my favorite style its a mission to get it right so for this round I planned the following and I would appreciate your feed back and advice..so here is the plan

Recipe is for 5 gallons
11 lbs Belgian pilsner
Acidulated malt for ph (still have not calculated the amount, might go phosphoric)
2 lbs sugar
2oz styrian goldings (60 mins)
1oz Czech saaz (15 mins)
wy1388 (big starter 4L)

My plan is a 2 step mash in a cooler starting at 131-132F for 20 mins
Decocting until I hit 147-148 letting it rest for 90 mins (hopefully it stays light golden)
boiling for 90 mins
pitching at 64F and letting it raise to 68-70F during the first 3 days and then adding the sugar.
Once the sugar has been adding I will hold at 70F for a day or 2 then allow the temp to rise to 75-77F until it fully attenuates dry(hopefully) then just let it sit on the cake a few more weeks to clean up..I have made the mistake of rushing this beer off the cake so this time I want to let it sit on the cake 2-3 months. I don't know if there is a benefit but I'm gonna see what happens, after all this style has a "champagne" like quality and that quality comes with time I believe..Anyway after I let it sit on the cake for awhile I will lager it for 4-6 weeks then bottle it.
Once bottled I will keep it in a warm area for 4-6 weeks then return it to the fridge to cold condition a few more weeks.. I know this sounds like an awful long and tedious way to make a BGS but all my other attempts fell flat and I believe it was due to being impatient. any feed back and advice would be appreciated.. I would love to hear what you all think about my plan thank you cheers (pardon the bad grammar)

Last edited:
. I put this recipe into a brewing calculator and OG with sugar in the grain bill is 1.070..I plan on adding the sugar about 3 days in so the OG at pitching should be around 1.053 not a high OG but I'm shooting for high attenuation aiming for a FG of 1.005 to give me 8.5% ABV
yeast is wyeast 1388

idk what happened tried to edit my post and that happened

Sounds like a good plan to me, except all the time sitting on the cake and then the lagering. It should be fully attenuated in ~2-3 weeks max if you keep it warm towards the end of primary. When it hits FG package it and then age it.

Back