Belgian Golden strong stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hinke

Reaction score
I brewed 12 gallons of Jamils Belgian Golden Strong, and I fed the wort sugar every day while fermenting (instead of dumping 6# of sugar in the boil). I used a 4 liter starter with 2 vials, used plenty of oxygen.

It is now stuck at 1.020.

Should I add more sugar to take the gravity down? Or should I add champagne yeast? Any suggestions?

It's in a conical, so I have roused the yeast with C02.

Thanks

What yeast, what temp, what OG, what mash temp.

From everything I have read, Champagne yeast will not do anything. It only eats simple sugars, and they probably have all been used up by the original yeast. And once you have put in a champagne (or wine) yeast, you can't go back and use an ale yeast on it, For the most part, wine yeast kill ale yeasts.

Yeast: White labs 570
Temp: From 62-82F (I started at 62, and let it go up to 82 in about 1 week time)
OG: 1.074
Mash: 149-151

It's been 2 weeks and 2 days. There are still tiny bubbles when I am taking a gravity sample (in the hydrometer tube).

Keep the temp up and give it more time. Belgian yeasts can take some time to finish.

Here is a good quote from Brew Like a Monk... (pg. 223)

"Let the fermentation finish, perhaps at a higher temperature. It may take as long to get the last few points of attenuarion as it did for the first 80%"

I find that often Belgians just chug along very slowly but do continue to work. I do not even check mine until at least4-6 weeks.

Thanks. Will let it sit for a while. I got another fridge to ferment other beers in, so I am not in a hurry.

Do some searches on WLP570. I found the following comment on the yeast from a review of a number of Belgian yeasts, " This strain attenuates well but has been known to be slow to ferment and flocculate."

Give it time.

Back