Belgian Golden Strong mash schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1971hemicuda

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen many different options on mash schedules. I'm not trying to clone anything, but i am hoping to hit the typical 1.006 or 1.008 for FG

Here's my grain bill

11 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 73.3 %
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %
2.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 11.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 3.4 IBUs
3 lbs Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 3 20.0 %
1.0 pkg Belgian Style Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #WLP575) [35.49 ml] Yeast

I've heard people just say 148 for 75 minutes, and i've seen things like 144 for 75 min, raise to 158 for 10 min then mash out

Just trying to get people's takes on this wonderful style and finding a way to make to clear, crisp and beautiful.

I'm serving one right now that was mashed at 149°F for 90 minutes, and it came out great. A very fermentable wort. OG was 1.070 (a little lower than target, but it was only my 2nd AG) and FG was a comparably low 1.003.

BrewNow said:
+1 for 148 for 90 minutes. Ensures full conversion at the slightly lower mash temp.

This is what I was wondering about. At the lower mash temp I need a little longer mash. I think I'm going to go 147/148 for my temp. I love this style so I can't wait to make it!

its going to make a better wort profile to give you the fermentabiliy and the maltiness instead of a compromise between the two. If you go with a straight single sacch rest at 146-148, you will get a drier, more watery, higher fermentable wort.
If you do a single sacch rest at 158-160* you'll come away with a maltier brew with more body less fermentability. the compromised happy medium for a single rest is 152-153*, that gives you some of both worlds. Multi step mashing puts the brewer in control of how his wort profile will come out for that style of brew

the beta enzymes don't just die off right away. it takes some time to denature the enzymes. you are also going to use a lot of sugar that will thin and dry out the brews profile. I'd stay on the lower time line at 144 then work your way up from there if you don't like the outcome. the proper amount of healthy yeast and it's attenuation is what will bring the tg down. belgian yeasts eat things that other types can't.
are you building a starter or repitching a pancake? one pitchable isn't enough yeast.
Here's a chart from jj palmer showing the ranges of the beta and alpha enzymes and how they overlap so you can see the beta is still working in the mid 150* range

Enzchart.gif

That's for the explanation. But how does this work if I was shooting for say...a 152 profile...a medium body beer. Would I start around say...148 then raise to 158?

As for my yeast...I cultured yeast from the bottom of an Ommegang bottle about 4 months ago, brewed a Tripel with it. Then I washed yeast from the bottom of the fermentor and I'm pitching a 1500 ml starter with the same yeast equivalent you would get from a regular vial of white labs.

You may not get the attenuation you need for this style shooting for a "medium body" mash schedule.

Back