Belgian Golden Ale w/Mosaic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kchomebrew

Reaction score
I had some extra mosaic hops sitting around and I've been wanting to do a Belgian Golden Ale for quite some time. It got me thinking about how Duvel's very rare triple hop release uses Mosaic for their 2014 release (2013 was Sorachi Ace and 2012 was Amarillo). Im to understand that Duvel uses the 3rd hop (in addition to their typical Saaz and Styrian) in the boil kettle and also for dry hopping. I only had a couple of ounces of Mosaic, so I'm just going to dry hop the Belgian Golden with it. And, since I'm splitting the batch with a Saison yeast, I plan to also dry hop the Saison with some Amarillo. Brewed this on Sunday 6/1.

87.5% Belgian Pils
4.2% Carapils
8.3% Corn Sugar
- 149F mash 90m -
Boil:
90m - Saaz (30%)
30m - Styrian Golding (20%)
30m - Corn Sugar addition
15m - Whirfloc
10m - Saaz (30%)
10m - Styrian Golding (20%)
> chilled to 68F - split batch and pitched yeast WLP570 (Belgian Golden Ale) and WLP 566 (Saison II).
> OG 1.070 (expect 570 to get down to 1.010 range and assume saison will get down to 1.006ish)
> will let these primary ferment for about 3 to 4 days at 68F and then will ramp both up to near 78F. Will hold at 78F until fermentation is completed. May need to increase the 566 up to 80F+ (never used this one so I don't know).
> After primary ferment, will transfer both to secondary fermenters.
> 570 batch will cold crash for about a month and then will remove from cold crash and warm to 67F and add in mosaic dry hops for 4 days and then will bottle and condition for about a month. All said and done, I might be able to drink this one by some point mid August.
>566 batch will continue at high temp in secondary for about a month and then will add in some dry hops for 3 to 4 days (amarillo) and will bottle condition for another month or so. This one ought to be ready in mid/late Aug. also.

Transferred to secondary today. Very cloudy and lots of yeast still in suspension on this. Gravity was at 1.010. Will give this another week at 70F'ish and then a couple of weeks of cold conditioning and then finally dry hopping with Mosaic. I recently had a chance to try the Duvel Tripel Hop (at Boulevardia) that's made with mosaic. Excellent beer ! I hope this is close.

Put the secondary in the fridge down to 35F and will keep it there for about 3.5 weeks and then will warm back up to about 65F and add in mosaic dry hops for about a week and then cold crash again till the pellet hops drop out and then will bottle. I'll let the bottles condition for about a month.

Pulled the carboy out of the fridge and have now added in 3oz of mosaic hops as dry hops. Will let those dry hop for approx. 3 days and then will cold crash for 72 hours to drop out the hops and then will bottle. Will let this one bottle condition for about a month and then should be drinkable. I will continue to post updates.

Bottled both batches. Golden ale finished at 1.010 and the saison batch finished at 1.006. Both samples were fantastic. Looking fwd to the finished product in several weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bottled both batches. Golden ale finished at 1.010 and the saison batch finished at 1.006. Both samples were fantastic. Looking fwd to the finished product in several weeks.

How'd the mosaic beer turn out? I would also like to make a mosaic Belgian beer. Do you think the recipe would work with westmalle yeast (WLP530)??

How'd the mosaic beer turn out? I would also like to make a mosaic Belgian beer. Do you think the recipe would work with westmalle yeast (WLP530)??

It turned out nicely. I'd recommend using German pils malt instead of Belgian Pils. The lovibond on the belgian pils is too dark and makes the beer more like a belgian pale ale instead of a golden ale. Mosaic works nicely and id imagine it would work with any Belgian yeast. Not too heavy on it though. Something like .25oz per gallon as dry hop would be appropriate.

I have a huge sack of Belgian pilsner so I am trying to stick to that for now I don't care so much if the color is slightly off....

I was also considering trying this other recipe that you did:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/el-dorado-calypso-hop-belgian-pale-ale-419752/

I love the color of that beer. What do you think about using mosaic in this recipe, and switching the belgian pale for pilsner? Thanks for your help, I am new to this .

I have a huge sack of Belgian pilsner so I am trying to stick to that for now I don't care so much if the color is slightly off....

I was also considering trying this other recipe that you did:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/el-dorado-calypso-hop-belgian-pale-ale-419752/

I love the color of that beer. What do you think about using mosaic in this recipe, and switching the belgian pale for pilsner? Thanks for your help, I am new to this .

You'll be fine with Belgian Pils. It'll be close to the Belgian Pale profile. Just know that if you enter the beer in any competition, the belgian pils malt profile and color, along with hop additions is going to kick it into Belgian Pale Ale category. I recommend Mosaic in pretty much any type of beer (use in moderation with Belgian styles, of course) ! Post some photos once you have a finish product. Would like to see how it turns out. Good luck !

Awesome. I'll update with photos when I do it. A local brewery made a one off using just pilsner or pale, fermented with brett (primary yeast), and hopped with mosaic and I thought it was fantastic. I'm gonna try and do a brett fermented one too at some point. I believe they did a decoction mash to try to add some complexity to the malt profile since it was just base malt.

How did the two batches differ due to the yeast? I'm interested in doing something similar.

How did the two batches differ due to the yeast? I'm interested in doing something similar.

Not huge differences. I thought the belgian golden ale yeast works better with this recipe than the saison yeast.

Back