Belgian Dubbel Fermentation over in 3 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcarey1222

Reaction score
I brewed a chimay red clone and after 3.5 days it seems that fermentation is over. The OG and FG are on point but I am concerned that something else is wrong. The main problem that occured was the fermentation temperature mainly occured at 78-80 degrees.

The question is, what should I do next? Rack now into second fermentor for another week or wait a few days and then rack? I have read so much contradicting suggestions that it is hard to determine the next plan of action.

Any tips / suggestions are much appreciated.

Just leave it alone. Fermentations are frequently over in a few days, especially with Belgians where you ferment at higher temps like 78-80 (that's up there, but fine). Just so you know, leaving it alone is almost NEVER a bad thing. I'd say leave it another 2 - 3 weeks, then either rack or bottle (if your OG was on the higher side, say 1.070 +, bulk aging may be a good thing).

I brewed a chimay red clone and after 3.5 days it seems that fermentation is over. The OG and FG are on point but I am concerned that something else is wrong. The main problem that occured was the fermentation temperature mainly occured at 78-80 degrees.

There is likely no problem at all. 78-80 degrees is pretty high, and will cause a mega-fast fermentation, but many Belgian yeast strains like high temperatures. You may have some fusel alcohols ("hot" prominent alcohol flavor) or maybe some fruity esters, but chances are that all is well. If I were you, I would leave the beer in the primary fermenter for another 2 to 3 weeks to allow the main yeast cake to help clean up any "off flavors" from the hot fermentation, then bottle as ususal.

I would NOT rack to a secondary for at least another 2 weeks if you think it fermented that hot. Leaving the beer in contact with the large yeast cake in the primary fermenter is going to go a long way to ensure you have a good beer. If it was an American or British style ale, I would be a little more concerned about those high temperatures, but most Belgian yeasts tolerate heat pretty well.

Some tastes in some styles of belgians are desired with the yeast between 76 and 78 or so. Ommegang is fermented at 79 degrees. Of course that has to do with your yeast strain as well. Many will say skip the secondary, I personally do one, but many would tell you it is not necessary. I still would leave it in primary for another couple weeks myself. Condition it a good long while too, higher gravity beers take longer to carbonate, and some of the fusel's you developed may mellow out more.

There's only one way to figure out what you need to do and that's by drawing a sample and tasting it. If you don't detect fusels, then there's no need to worry about them. If it tastes exactly like you want it to, go ahead and bottle it.

Of course, there's really no harm in letting it sit for a few weeks in the primary fermenter but it may not be necessary.

The factors that control how much ester and fusels were produced are fermentation temp, pitch rate, oxygenation, and yeast strain. Of which, you've only told us about one.

Hello everyone, thank you very much for all of the feedback, this place is great!

I have some additonal information to the situation and some additonal quesitons.

The OG was 1.070 and the FG is about 1.015, so exactly what the recipe said it would do. I tasted it and it is also on point, malty at first and light to finish.

I used Wyeast 1214 and did not create a starter. I also did not add any extra oxygen, which I will do in the future. The recipe consisted of specialty hopes, 8.3lbs of light LME, and 1.5lbs of cane sugar (not corn).

A few extra questions:
-If I continue to let it ferment in the primary for 1-2 additonal weeks, should I try to maintain the temperature at 68-72 degrees?

-Will it be possible to filter out most sediments by bottling directly from the primary or would it be good to rack to a secondary?

-Is it recommended to add a little LME to the beer before bottling, mixing in corn sugar to the beer, and/or just putting a tspn of corn sugar to each 22oz?

-How do I detect for fusels?

A lot of questions, I know, but any help is much appreciated.

-Yes, you should try to keep the temperature around 67 I would suggest. You have to remember that at the beginning stages you have a lot of exothermic heat from yeast activity, this will have died down, so your beer's temperature will probably be about the same as the ambient. During your vigorous fermentation in order to keep it down lower, you may would have had to have ambient around 55-60 or possibly cooler.
-You would rack from primary to a bottling bucket or vessel, and that will a) leave the cake, and b) mix it well as it siphons in. Secondary you will get varying opinions on, I like using one.
-I would recommend using corn sugar for priming. There are plenty of calculators out there, tell it your volume and it will give you the amount of corn sugar to use for the carb style of the style you are brewing. When you mix it in, you heat it up in a couple cups of water on your stove, get it suspended and mixed in totally, then chill it back down and put it in the bottom of the bottling bucket before you siphon into it to bottle. This way it gets mixed in well.
- Fusel alcohols apart from using laboratory equipment you would detect with taste. They tend to have a sharper more astringent taste. Fusels can calm down some during conditioning. Which is why you may benefit from a long fermentation/clearing and long conditioning with that style of beer. Plus it may take it a minute to carb up properly. Many Belgians purposefully incorporate some fusels. All that matters is, that you like the way it tastes and drinks. It's yours. RDWAHAHB

Let it sit for a few weeks more. Belgian yeasts can fool you. You think hey are done and then they get a few more points of attenuation. I routinely leave Belgians in the primary for 4-6 weeks and even longerer for a big brew..

If I am reading your post right it has only been 3.5 days. Even if fermentationis over there is a lot still going on. Let the yeast do its thing for a while longer.

The question is, what should I do next? Rack now into second fermentor for another week or wait a few days and then rack? I have read so much contradicting suggestions that it is hard to determine the next plan of action.

Any tips / suggestions are much appreciated.

I brewed a Belgian Dubbel Dec 30th and had the same happen. I called my local homebrew shop and they said to let it ride for another week or two or rack to secondary.

Back