Belgian Dark Strong Grain Bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindsculptor

Reaction score
I haven't had much success tracking down original recipes to get an idea of what I could or should use in formulating my own recipe. I've only ever had one Quad, St. Bernardus Abt 12, but I'm not much into clones. I know i want something in the 1100 OG range and an FG around 1020 with plenty of complexity from the grain bill. Anybody here have any suggestions?

I haven't had much success tracking down original recipes to get an idea of what I could or should use in formulating my own recipe. I've only ever had one Quad, St. Bernardus Abt 12, but I'm not much into clones. I know i want something in the 1100 OG range and an FG around 1020 with plenty of complexity from the grain bill. Anybody here have any suggestions?

FWIW I brew the version from Brewing Classic Styles every year and it is amazing. I replace the regular sugar with dark candi syrup

Just finished reading the Brew Like a Monk book and the most surprising thing to me was how vanilla the grain bills are for the various trappist breweries. Most are some combination of pilsner malt, one or two dark crystal/caramel, and Belgian candi sugar. All of the complexity comes from the yeast dealing with the high gravaties and warm temps. They also tend to under pitch which adds additional stress to the yeast.

I've got a good BDS recipe with approximately the following grain bill.

15.5# Maris Otter
2.5# Munich
1# Pilsner
1.25# C60
0.75# C25
1# (Victory or Special B)
1# Dark Belgian Candy Syrup

Back