Belgian Dark Strong - Additional Candi Syrup / Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmillb1

Reaction score
I brewed a BDS with Wyeast 1388 and blew my OG by 30 points (argh) - - I added 2 pounds of D-180 Candi Syrup at flameout, but the target OG was 1.119 and I pulled a 1.090. o_O

Efficiency issues aside, I had purchased an additional D-90 that I was going to add at high krausen to up the ABV a touch, but, the week got away from me and I didn't get to it in time. I've read that 1388 has a high propensity to stall and hedged my bets and got another pack of 1388 just in case, but, I took a hydro reading today an it's sitting at 1.021 - I'm happy with that for sure - - ABV is around 9% at this point, and the taste was very nice.

SINCE I'm sitting on it, I'm curious what would happen if I added the extra candi syrup to up the alcohol at this point? Would it continue to ferment with the added sugar or is the yeast tapped out at this point? What if I added the extra yeast pack as well?

Obviously I'm slightly annoyed I missed out on the extra boozy points from the lost sugar from the initial mash, but, am I just overreacting and potentially screwing with the homebrew gods here if I tinker to get back to where I wanted to be in the first place? :p

You aren't maxed out on yeast- alcohol tolerance, but if you're happy as is, why add more sugar? 3 lbs of Candi syrup seems like a lot to me, but it might be just me.

^^^^ +1. I would NOT add anymore Candi syrup. Am I understanding correctly that it has been a week since pitching? If so, how could you tell if you have a stalled fermentation? Without knowing more info, it sounds like fermentation has slowed and I would imagine you are near FG. Has the gravity changed over a three day period?

I currently have a Blue Chimay fermenting with Wyeast 1214 and while it has been six days my fermentation has slowed......

Blue Chimay.PNG

^^^^ +1. I would NOT add anymore Candi syrup. Am I understanding correctly that it has been a week since pitching? If so, how could you tell if you have a stalled fermentation? Without knowing more info, it sounds like fermentation has slowed and I would imagine you are near FG. Has the gravity changed over a three day period?

I currently have a Blue Chimay fermenting with Wyeast 1214 and while it has been six days my fermentation has slowed......

View attachment 661475

Correct, one week and one day since brew day. I know I don't have a stalled fermentation as the progression in the last week from 1.090 to 1.021 is amazing, I just read that yeast is known for stalling. I was just curious if I tossed in a bit more sugar if I'd get a bit more "oomph". As @brownni5 mentioned above, though, that's kind of where my head was: If it ain't broke...

BUT I had to ask! ;)

I am a bit curious how adding the sugar at this point would work out. I would have some concerns that it may not ferment well given the lack of oxygen and yeast already settling out, but I suspect it would ferment fine.

My understanding is that if you pitch yeast into a fermented beer, you ideally would pitch a bunch of yeast that is actively fermenting. Given the harsh conditions (no oxygen and alcohol) just pitching a pack of liquid yeast is not very effective.

Back