Belgian Braggot: Recipe Feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L0-FI

Reaction score
Starting to get a grasp on recipe development. Of course trial and error is the majority of what we do

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

And my thumbs posted this before i could!

7lbs Belgian pils
1lb, 12oz caramunich
1lb flaked oats
8oz Dextrin
6lbs wildflower honey from the MI beekeeper
2oz hallertauer FWH
.3oz hallertauer 20min
Wyeast Trappist hi-grav
Est OG 1.09
IBUs: 30.9
5 gallons, to the tune of a belgian dark strong

I was thinking of mashing high, oats for mouthfeel, and dextrine malt - all for the sake of keeping this from thinning way out. I wanted a low attenuating yeast, but I need that belgian character! My recipes have been much simpler/reserved, so I just am look for any feedback! Anyone ever Caramelize
honey separately to get some 'candi sugar' darkness? Cheers!

And 12oz special b. man, I'm losing it today..

I made something similar with pale malt, special b and crystal. Kept the IBUs under 10. Very good, ages nicely, plus came around 7%abv.

Ya, I was thinking about dropping the IBUs, but wasn't sure how the bitterness to OG ratio would work in a braggot. How much honey did you use? Did it still have some body? What yeast did you go with?

I used just over half honey and a lot of the malt was there for body. It had the body of a 4% abv beer, roughly and a light brown colour. The finish is very dry, winelike, so I find that a fairly low ibu works. I've made hoppy light bragawds and I've thought the high ibu ones were just too dry, sharp and bitter. A ratio around .1 or .2 is probably safest. It's nice when the honey aromas and the malt flavours intermingle, the hops bring some freshness and a bit of aging makes it clean and dry.

Hah, I found the recipe:

For 12l:
850g light LME, 400g medium crystal, 400g maris otter, 100g special b, 1300g honey. 5g of EKG for 60m in the boil. After fermentation added vanilla beans and cinnamon sticks soaked in brandy. Yeast was Nottingham. Comes out at 4ibu! I would have maybe upped it to 8ibu if brewing again (still got some bottles)

Back