Belgian blonde - not looking and tasting like one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vgk13

Reaction score
My wife just gifted me a home brewing equipment and kit. I decided to try a Belgian blonde ale as the first brew. I could not handle a 5 gallon batch so I cut all the ingredients to half and got 2.5 gallons.
I have them bottled and sitting for a week, I decided to crack one open just to see how it is progressing. The colour is darker than I expected but the real concern is that it smells and tastes of higher alcohol content.
Can anyone give me an idea of what could have gone wrong.
Also whats the best way of reduce batch sizes from 5 gallons and still get the desired beer.

I'm assuming this is an extract kit. Most of my extract beers have come out darker than they should have. Also, what temperature did you ferment at? That could possibly explain the "high alcohol" smell you're getting.

What were the ingredients? Was this an extract kit? Extracts can tend to be a little darker than you expect, expecially if maybe you happened to caramelize the extract. If its tasting a little hot or higher alcohol, it might just need more time to condition.

There are other questions that might help us help you. How long did you let it ferment? What was the final gravity? What was the original gravity?

What was the recipe? What was your fermentation temp? Fusel alcohols develop at higher fermentation temps. Darker color is common with extract brews due to melanoidin development during the boil. Some more info on recipe and process would help troubleshoot your beer.

+1 on how long did it ferment? My first extract kit tasted heavy of alcohol at 2 weeks but much better after 3 weeks. Then bottled 3 weeks and resulted very drinkable.

Thanks a lot for all the messages.
This was an extract kit.
I let it sit for 10 days to ferment. I would say the avg temperature ranged from 68-74 F.
Unfortunately I did not take gravity readings.
I will let it sit for another couple of weeks. Just hoping for it to taste better

Since I am new, what exactly should I share when you say recipe.

Time will heal. If your ambient temp ranged from 68-74, remember fermenting temp can be much higher. Flavors should mellow over time.

When we ask recipe, it's exactly that...what went into your brew. LME....DME....hop additions....specialty grains...boil times....OG and FG....etc

Also, if you don't have a hydrometer, I'd say invest in one. Its the only way you will be able to determine the alcohol content of your beer, and the best way to determine if its done fermenting. Otherwise, you are just guessing, and that could potentially lead to bottle bombs if you bottle too soon.

Brewnoob is right though, time will heal most things in a beer--except infection. I'd let your bottles sit for another few weeks and give them another try. I think you will be surprised at how much the flavor will change.

Latest posts

Back