Belgian Blond

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
Hey everybody...
I'm about to make my first attempt at a Belgian, and was wondering if anyone had any insight or advice on this recipe. I made a half gallon starter with an OG of 1.031, when that's done, I'll step it up to a one gallon starter with an OG of 1.051. Lastly, when is the ideal time to add the sugar to the boil?

Belgian Blond
18-A Belgian Blond Ale
Author: Marc L

Size: 5.25 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 83.5%
Calories: 240.5 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.073 (1.062 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.008 - 1.018)
Color: 6.0 (4.0 - 7.0)
Alcohol: 8.02% (6.0% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 24.1 (15.0 - 30.0)

Ingredients:
11 lb Belgian Pils
.5 lb Wheat Malt
.5 lb Aromatic Malt
1.5 lb Candi Sugar Clear
1.5 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
0.0 ea White Labs WLP550 Belgian Ale

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:03:00 Mash In - Liquor: 4.5 gal; Strike: 167.15 °F; Target: 150 °F
01:33:00 Sach Rest - Rest: 90 min; Final: 146.9 °F
01:33:00 Sparge - First runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 0.0 min; Sparge #1: 4.8 gal sparge @ 195.0 °F, 0.0 min; Total Runoff: 7.76 gal

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3

Personally I think you're fine with a half gallon starter. Your Belgian yeast should be able to handle that beer easily, and if you make it bigger you might lose some of that Belgian character that is imparted in the form of esters by its growth process (since it won't grow as much). But it will be good either way.

Either add the sugar sometime after the last 15 minutes of the boil (higher gravity wort = less hop utilization), or finish the brewing, ferment it most of the way, then boil, cool, and dump the candi sugar in later on. This strategy is used for high gravity brews to keep the yeast going

Personally I think you're fine with a half gallon starter. Your Belgian yeast should be able to handle that beer easily, and if you make it bigger you might lose some of that Belgian character that is imparted in the form of esters by its growth process (since it won't grow as much). But it will be good either way.

Either add the sugar sometime after the last 15 minutes of the boil (higher gravity wort = less hop utilization), or finish the brewing, ferment it most of the way, then boil, cool, and dump the candi sugar in later on. This strategy is used for high gravity brews to keep the yeast going

Cool, I won't step up that starter.

Cool, I won't step up that starter.

im pretty sure people melt down the candi sugar in a bit of water and boil it for a few minutes, cool, then add the sugar liquid to the fermenter at high krausen. You want to try and avoid overboiling, as it will caramelize the sugar (unless you desire that flavor profile)

im pretty sure people melt down the candi sugar in a bit of water and boil it for a few minutes, cool, then add the sugar liquid to the fermenter at high krausen. You want to try and avoid overboiling, as it will caramelize the sugar (unless you desire that flavor profile)

Cool, cool. Great advice from alcibiades and greenbirds. That's why I posted!:mug:

Since you are brewing a blond, and if you don't already have the candi on hand, you may want to add just plain ol' white sugar. It is within style, doesn't add any real flavor (just alcohol), and is cheaper. You may be able to mash a tad higher (as in a couple of degrees) to get a bit more body... Since you're adding the sugar, it will definitely be light in body.

I just finished one a month ago. Don't be suprised if fermentation takes a couple weeks. I was at 1032 at a week and kraeusen had mostly dropped. I thought I was in for another fun ride trying to get attenuation but at 2 weeks it had dropped to 1006. I never let it get over 75 so be patient with this yeast. I used wyeast 1214 but I believe it is the same origin as yours.

I just finished one a month ago. Don't be suprised if fermentation takes a couple weeks. I was at 1032 at a week and kraeusen had mostly dropped. I thought I was in for another fun ride trying to get attenuation but at 2 weeks it had dropped to 1006. I never let it get over 75 so be patient with this yeast. I used wyeast 1214 but I believe it is the same origin as yours.

Thanks. I was reading up on the WLP550, and man, does this stuff attenuate. FG's below 1.010 in all the reviews I read.

Back