Belgian blend experiment???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GatoRailBrewery

Reaction score
I recently had the fortune of being able to go to 10 gallon full boil batches :) here's my hairbrained idea. Fermentation vessels currently exist of 2, 5 gallon carboys and 1 gallon jugs. As I've seen in commercial brews (Belgian) they tend blend to create greatness. So... What about 2, 4 gallon batches then 2, 1 gallon batches all from the same wort but different yeast strains to get the optimum of brews. Thinking brew as normal, extended primary, then blend at bottling for an extended aging (6 monthish). Or perhaps fruit addition in the "flavoring" jugs. Please let me know eat you think.

Sounds like a good idea. Would you u you bottle some of them before blending? What are you gonna age the blends in?

Probably do a primary only. As far as the preblend brew I would at least bottle a bottle or 2 outta the bigger primary's but blend and bottle age. Or perhaps this is an excuse to buy/create my big secondary ferm tank :)

Blending in Belgian beers is usually for sours as the process creates inconsistent results. Blending beer with different strains is rewarding though, as you can create flavors that would not exist otherwise. You can also pitch multiple strains in the same batch for the same effect as well, might be a little easier. Brew away :)

Back