Beginning Brewer here seeking tips and advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i figured something like that was coming.. yeah i am underage. however, my dad was a bouncer for about 20 years, i've inherited the genes and alcohol tolerance of a grown man. im very responsible when i drink and i do not drive and rarely do i drink to get drunk. college life is pretty stressful and a cold beer every now and then is nice. plus you dont have to be 21 to be buy a homebrewing kit so ill leave this fault at the hands of the legislative branch of the government. if you dont want people under 21 drinking, dont sell brew kits to 18 year olds. not ranting, just stating facts. either way, you guys have been really helpful and i appreciate everything.

Be very careful not to ingest anything that comes out of the fermenter. It will be poison.

He said he's read enough here to know about homebrewing, so I'm sure he know's he's gotta mix the trub with the fermented beer real well before adding priming sugar and bottling...cut him some slack!

What an idiot :drunk: :mad:

because i was being honest, instead of lying about my age, im an idiot correct? or was it my 7-11 comment that got to you? the fact i do like drinking beer and im not yet old enough to buy it so i have people that are old enough do it for me. so? i aquired the taste young and i enjoy kicking back and having a few beers. if someone can do it responsibly, (as i always do) whats wrong with an 18 year old drinking beer? i dont drink to get out of control. if i wanted to do that, id grab a bottle of cheap vodka. But i dont. Im simply a college student that between the stress of college, females, and finances enjoys a nice cold beer occasionally. and for you to call me an idiot for it, well, only god can judge you buddy.

anyways, i appreciate all the help you guys have provided me, she looks to be fermenting well and ive had no further problems. thank you guys for all the support..

Don't take it so serious. It was not directed at you as a person, rather your decisions you have made within this post. I am sure you are very smart, talented, and obviously are choosing to higher your education with a college degree. That is evident.

What is also evident, is the fact that consuming alcohol under the age of 21 is 100% illegal. No matter the stresses, bills, or homework you have, it still does not make it okay to crack open a beer and "relax". Did I do it? Sure. Did I get on the largest homebrew forum and post that I do it, and that I am currently making my own illegal elixir in my house. Of course not. That is where the term idiot came from. You my friend, are not an idiot, but your actions were very idiotic during this entire process.

You have a lot to learn.

Don't take it so serious. It was not directed at you as a person, rather your decisions you have made within this post. I am sure you are very smart, talented, and obviously are choosing to higher your education with a college degree. That is evident.

What is also evident, is the fact that consuming alcohol under the age of 21 is 100% illegal. No matter the stresses, bills, or homework you have, it still does not make it okay to crack open a beer and "relax". Did I do it? Sure. Did I get on the largest homebrew forum and post that I do it, and that I am currently making my own illegal elixir in my house. Of course not. That is where the term idiot came from. You my friend, are not an idiot, but your actions were very idiotic during this entire process.

You have a lot to learn.

thank you for revising your post, i really do appreciate it. although some parts i still politely disagree with, i would much rather read this than a simple "what an idiot." i thought this would be the best place to learn about homebrewing and so far, it has been. and a loophole if i may, they sell these kits to anyone (over 18 maybe?) so brewing shouldnt be illegal, it would only be the consumption of the final product. so, for the sake of saving face and to keep an account on these message boards, i wont discuss the "consumption" of my product anymore, only the producing of it. Hopefully that will keep me from seeing any more derogatory comments.

Well I don't mean to be derogatory.... but it's not just consuming beer that is illegal for people under 21, making alcohol is too. Doesn't matter if they sell you the ingredients, you are the one breaking the law.

This is one of the best forums on the planet to learn about making beer. It's not a question of whether we think you have the intelligence (which obviously you do) to be successful at it, it fully a matter of legalities.

Unfortunately, more than likely, once a Moderator gets wind of this, you will probably be banned. It's not personal, it's liability. We will fully embrace you with open arms when you are of legal age.

If not, consider it a bullet dodged, and don't mention making or drinking until you are of age..... this still is a very informative place.

Well I don't mean to be derogatory.... but it's not just consuming beer that is illegal for people under 21, making alcohol is too. Doesn't matter if they sell you the ingredients, you are the one breaking the law.

This is one of the best forums on the planet to learn about making beer. It's not a question of whether we think you have the intelligence (which obviously you do) to be successful at it, it fully a matter of legalities.

Unfortunately, more than likely, once a Moderator gets wind of this, you will probably be banned. It's not personal, it's liability. We will fully embrace you with open arms when you are of legal age.

If not, consider it a bullet dodged, and don't mention making or drinking until you are of age..... this still is a very informative place.

Of course. Thats completely understandable why they wouldnt want anyone under legal age on a brewery discussion board. and fyi, i just found out you can purchase a brewery set at any age, its only when the beer begins to ferment it becomes illegal. And in the very unlikely case i was to get caught, it would simply be a minor in possession ticket. But anyways, i do appreciate you guys explaining your comments. Either way, legal or illegal, homebrew or store-bought, I'll continue to drink nice, cold, refreshing beer. Because thats what Americans do. (cue patriotic song)

Actually, the Homebrewers Association's website has the current statute which seems to indicate that it is completely legal for him to produce beer. Now your *state* may have a law that overrides that age, I have no idea. But otherwise this would seem to be a similar situation of it being legal for an 18 year old to serve alcohol in a bar. That of course doesn't change the fact that it is technically illegal to drink anything you ferment until you are 21 regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the laws.

Statute

United States Code Title 27, Part 25, Subpart L, Section 25.205 and Section 25.206
Beer For Personal or Family Use

§ 25.205 Production.

(a) Any adult may produce beer, without payment of tax, for personal or family use and not for sale. An adult is any individual who is 18 years of age or older. If the locality in which the household is located requires a greater minimum age for the sale of beer to individuals, the adult shall be that age before commencing the production of beer. This exemption does not authorize the production of beer for use contrary to State or local law.

(b) The production of beer per household, without payment of tax, for personal or family use may not exceed:

(1) 200 gallons per calendar year if there are two or more adults residing in the household, or

(2) 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only one adult residing in the household.

(c) Partnerships except as provided in §25.207, corporations or associations may not produce beer, without payment of tax, for personal or family use.

§ 25.206 Removal of beer.

Beer made under §25.205 may be removed from the premises where made for personal or family use including use at organized affairs, exhibitions or competitions such as homemaker's contests, tastings or judging. Beer removed under this section may not be sold or offered for sale.

Actually, the Homebrewers Association's website has the current statute which seems to indicate that it is completely legal for him to produce beer. Now your *state* may have a law that overrides that age, I have no idea. But otherwise this would seem to be a similar situation of it being legal for an 18 year old to serve alcohol in a bar. That of course doesn't change the fact that it is technically illegal to drink anything you ferment until you are 21 regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the laws.

Statute

United States Code Title 27, Part 25, Subpart L, Section 25.205 and Section 25.206
Beer For Personal or Family Use

§ 25.205 Production.

(a) Any adult may produce beer, without payment of tax, for personal or family use and not for sale. An adult is any individual who is 18 years of age or older. If the locality in which the household is located requires a greater minimum age for the sale of beer to individuals, the adult shall be that age before commencing the production of beer. This exemption does not authorize the production of beer for use contrary to State or local law.

(b) The production of beer per household, without payment of tax, for personal or family use may not exceed:

(1) 200 gallons per calendar year if there are two or more adults residing in the household, or

(2) 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only one adult residing in the household.

(c) Partnerships except as provided in §25.207, corporations or associations may not produce beer, without payment of tax, for personal or family use.

§ 25.206 Removal of beer.

Beer made under §25.205 may be removed from the premises where made for personal or family use including use at organized affairs, exhibitions or competitions such as homemaker's contests, tastings or judging. Beer removed under this section may not be sold or offered for sale.

i hate to argue against my own cause, but unless im reading this completely wrong, wouldnt the bold part mean 21 nationally? because the sale of beer nationally is 21 years old, wouldnt that mean everyone that purchases a home-brewing kit has to be 21? correct me if im wrong.

Of course. Thats completely understandable why they wouldnt want anyone under legal age on a brewery discussion board. and fyi, i just found out you can purchase a brewery set at any age, its only when the beer begins to ferment it becomes illegal. And in the very unlikely case i was to get caught, it would simply be a minor in possession ticket. But anyways, i do appreciate you guys explaining your comments. Either way, legal or illegal, homebrew or store-bought, I'll continue to drink nice, cold, refreshing beer. Because thats what Americans do. (cue patriotic song)

I know it's annoying that now everyone "hates" you just because your a "kid" but no amount of reasoning will change their minds....
I hear you about they will sell a homebrew kit to anyone, I bought my first with some mates when we were 16 (or 17, can't remember now ;)), to the supplier some of them just say "hey all I sold was some sugar and a bucket, not my fault what they do with it".
But good luck with school, and brewing, and remember that no one can stop you reading the forums even if you arn't a member. Mostly every question about brewing has been answer before anyway.
Cheers :mug:

It would mean you have to be 21 to produce or consume beer. Anywhere in the US.

There is nothing preventing you from buying the ingredients, there is no sale of alcohol involved in that transaction. (Just as you can buy fertilizer and other additives, legally, but when you mix them and blow something up.... illegal).

Okay, I reread the above statute and the Nation Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984, (which ironically doesn't prohibit people under 21 from drinking in all cases). I was wrong. Disregard what I said previously.

If your state, as posted in an earlier post here, doesn't strictly prohibit underage drinking, then, apparently it is not illegal. If your state allows those under 21 to 'sell' alcohol, it is legal to produce alcohol (unless that is specifically prohibited).

You are 18, check to see what your state allows.

Okay, I reread the statute and the Nation Minimum Drinking Age statue, (which ironically doesn't prohibit people under 21 from drinking). I was wrong. Disregard what I said previously.

If your state, as posted in an earlier post here, doesn't strictly prohibit underage drinking, then, apparently it is not illegal.

You are 18, check to see what your state allows.

to be completely honest (here is my immaturity if anyone would like to highlight it for future reference) i dont care what my state law is, i live alone in very nice trailer house under my grandpas name with no connection to me other than the residence form i filled out at the college i attend. point being, i feel no need to look up my states legal age because regardless of it im still going to drink beer, home-brewed or store-bought. i just feel i am one of many fighting the prohibition of the 21st century (that is, the "legal" age of 21) and i will continue to fight until i reach 21 years of age. ;)

Ahh, the rebelliousness of youth......

I would only caution you then, if it's illegal, and you've publicly admitted to it, and you've given your location in your personal information.... wouldn't be too hard for some over zealous law enforcement type to make a case of it.

Do what you gotta do, you'll probably be okay. Just know there may be some inherent risk.

Oklahoma just legalized home brewing this spring. The senate version of of the proposed bill I found indicated that you still need to have a valid personal use license to brew in your state. I wasn't able to find specific info about obtaining one on the state of Oklahoma site though.

typing this while drinking a miller high life, as i said, im broke and i like beer so dont judge me, i thank you guys for looking up and providing all this information for me. even if this thread does nothing else, it provides info on homebrewing in oklahoma, which I'd be more than happy to be a martyr for (getting a ticket; figuratively speaking of course). so thank you guys for providing this info to what will hopefully grow to be a large audience of good ole' oklahoman home brewers on this forum. and if/when i get banned, i ask one thing of you all. "Owens14" was one of the smartest/most smartass teenagers youve ever conversed with, I pride myself on that ;)

The personal use license is free in OK. I however have not applied for mine. Call me a redneck, libertarian, patriot, militia type, or whatever. But I figure any "license" issued by the Gov't that doesn't generate revenue (and actually costs the government money if the license is free but they still have to spend money and a state employee's time to process it), is just a way for somebody to keep a list of who is making alcohol.

They can have my homebrew when the pry it from my cold dead hands. I don't make more than the federally (or the state) allowed limit and I don't sell it to anyone. Not interested in winding up on some government registry.

I have a copy of the application however. They do ask for your ssn and birthdate. So beware if you plan on going that route owens14.

i just popped the top on my bucket for the first time and it appeared there was no krausen on top of my brew, only yeast along the edges of the bucket above the brew and on the lid. should i be worried theres no krausen floating on top of my brew?

How far into ferment are you? What yeast and how much did you use? chances are active ferment is over and the yeast is just cleaning up after itself. You won't likely see krausen at this point. Now stop popping the lid off your fermenter and get a betterbottle or glass carboy for your next outing. It keeps things sealed up tight and minimizes the risk of infection.

Due to your age I will not encourage you to RDWHAHB. But you are encouraged to relax, don't worry, and have the age appropriate beverage of your choice.

okay about 11 days into fermenting and after showing no changes for 4-5 days, we pop the lid ready to bottle today and this is what we see. infection?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

thats kinda what i thought but we'd already fermented and our bubbles had settled back down at about day 6 and now it looks like its bubbling strong again like the first time it fermented. but i havent known a brew to re-ferment later in the process, thats why i questioned if it was an infection or not?

Had you gotten hydrometer readings to confirm your fermentation was finished? Perhaps you had a stuck fermentation and it has started up again.

Definitely infected. I would pour it out. There is all kinds of pathogens stuck to the side of the fermenter that can cause botulism and renal failure. Seems especially strong since it lasted through fermentation.

Definitely infected. I would pour it out. There is all kinds of pathogens stuck to the side of the fermenter that can cause botulism and renal failure. Seems especially strong since it lasted through fermentation.

please tell me your joking. isnt the rule around here throwing out is the very last resort? could we siphon from bottom and leave a fair amount still in the bucket?

my best girl, no. me and my more-than-adventurous friends? probably so. i think what ill do is bottle the majority of the brew, and drink a bottle or 2 very cautiously and see how my stomach handles it before deciding what to do with the rest. seems like the best way to do it.

I'm just screwing with you man, it's just Krausen.

You're not done fermenting yet. Bottle it now and you'll have bottle bombs. The hydrometer is your friend, and when he's stable for 3+ days at the same reading, then you can bottle. Or! Leave it on primary for 3 weeks and quit opening the daddgum lid, and let the yeasties clean up after themselves.

Haha that was kind of funny.

MNIPaul gives good advice regarding NOT bottling yet. Though, for my sanity I do not test my beer, ever, unless I am bottling. It is always done after 3 weeks on the primary. If I am making a beer that is over about 1.070 OG, and I need to age it, I will often secondary after 3 weeks.

IMO testing is a waste of energy - but I am lazy and complain about doing anything that will not impact an end result. It will either ferment or not.

You will find your own preference. Do what makes you happy! I know that much at least.

Back