Beginner Reached out for advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1k3

Reaction score
The purpose of this thread it to document the interactions I have with someone who knows nothing about brewing and asked for help.

So, at work it's no secret that I've gone homebrew crazy and after 6 years anyone can ask questions....

A week ago, a girl shows up at my desk and says that she wants to homebrew. She has a friend that homebrews and thinks she can do it.

The next day I loan her the books How to Brew by John Palmer and Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil/John. Also, I gave her two DVD from Willam's Brewing and one from Sam Adams (on how to homebrew).

----

Week two: I gave her my Emily Bottle Capper, some caps, and a bottle tree. I keg and will never go back.

I'll keep you posted!

One of the best YouTube video series I've watched was done by Beer-N-BBQ by Larry, he has a lot on all phases of home brew.

One of the best YouTube video series I've watched was done by Beer-N-BBQ by Larry, he has a lot on all phases of home brew.

He has a million videos! do you mean: "Homebrewing Basics: All-Grain Brewing"

If so, would you start someone out all grain? Or let them do a few extract batches?

I started with a 1 gal Brooklyn Brew Shop kit that the wife got me for Christmas so I started all grain and never looked back. After that initial 1 gallon all grain batch I converted an older cooler into a mash tun and bought a cheep 5 gallon kettle to do 3 gallon batches on my stove. I feel like that is a good starting point for someone but I never tried extract brewing so I can't really say if it's better to start at one point or another.

I think I started with Larry's all grain basics video but quickly watched everything he had posted about a year ago. I feel like he was a good starting point with clear and accurate information.

All grain BIAB is easy for beginners, no sparge method... not much different than extract brewing really. Heat water, mash in and wait an hour... even sparging isn't that hard to learn... I did it back in the early 80's when we had no internet!

Latest posts

Back