Howdy from Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluffy Tripel

Reaction score
Hey all,
Native Texan here but people ask me all the time if I’m Canadian? Anywho, new brewer. First beer is bottle conditioning now.

I got a Mr. Beer kit a couple years ago with the Coors clone. No thanks. Never did anything with it and it sat in the garage.
My craft beer consumption increased in the last year and decided to go ahead and try brewing my own. The coors extract can was swollen and way expired. But figured the fermenter could still be used.

It’s the A-Z brown ale from Sam Calagione’s book “Extreme Brewing”.
I followed the recipe almost to a T except I didn’t add maple syrup.
Got a pretty decent setup to keep the little 2 gallon keg cool. Temps stay between 64-68 degrees.

Anywho two weeks into fermentation my wife noticed the valve had a couple drops of beer under it so she turned the handle and the whole spigot came off the fermenter! I’m pretty certain I overtighened it.
She kept her thumb over the whole while I flipped it on it’s side. Ended up bottling the next day, we got 7 bottles out it haha. I’ll taste it I’m two weeks, smells fantastic.

So I emailed mr beer about the issue and the sent me a new valve and fermenter and some American porter HLME.

Being one to not follow instructions I made a base recipe for the beer on “Brew log” app and decided to make it better. Coffee porter. From the base recipe I decided to exclude the Mr. Beer brewmax corn sugar solids and instead bump up the ABV with some DME. I’ll also add some cluster hops and 5oz cold brew into the fermenter. Planning on brewing this weekend! S

Welcome aboard!
I also started with MrBeer, also used the fermenter for other recipes, also suffered spigot failure.
Study, practice, have fun. Keep us posted.

Back