Beginner here whats this worth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mx750ktm

Reaction score
I found this kegerator on the local craigslist. As I would be new to the whole kegging experience I'm just curious what numbers you would offer on this setup. Also can anyone give me any information on this keg style, can you tell how many gallons its holds or approx. Can all kegs be re-filled by the homebrewer the ad makes it sound like he bought it with Busch light or something in it. Here is what the ad says. "
single tap kegerator 2 co2 bottles and emty keg ready for your superbowl party just pick up new keg ".

ricizo.jpg

The 5lb co2 tank is worth about $100.00 if it's full, an empty would runabout 70-80 at least where I get them and also assumes they are within the date stamp. The keg isn't worth anything and honestly it should be returned to the original retailer (Keg theft is a huge problem!) The regulator is worth $50-70 maybe also assuming it works properly and is in good shape.

You will probably need new lines and would want to invest in either pin or ball lock corney kegs as that is the most common among home brewers.

If the fridge works and the tap/tower are in good working order I would offer $150.00 to start and see where it goes, I'd say maybe $200 tops

The kegerator alone retails for around $500. He will probably laugh at a $150 offer.

This will need a little modification for homebrewing, but not much. The keg belongs to the brewery through the local beer distributor, not to the guy that is selling the refrigerator - it should go back to the brewery. For homebrewing you'll need what's known as a "corny" keg - which is short for Cornelius, one of the major manufacturers of that type of container. The corny is an old style soda dispensing keg that is not longer used due to a change in the way soda syrup is packaged now. Cornys are still readily available used. Ebay, craigslist, and a local homebrew shop are good sources as well as on-line brewing suppliers.

You need to check the interior space to tell if a kegerator will work for homebrew kegs. You'll need about 26" of clearance to get a corny keg with fitting attached inside the fridge. You can buy new economy kegerators in the 300 - 400 range. I'm guessing on the cost for the conversion to adapt to corny kegs, but I think that would be about 50 - 75, maybe less. The extra CO2 bottle is nice, it prevents the disappointment of not being able to get a beer out of the keg on game day. Depending on the condition of the one you're looking at, it might be worth $150 - $200 on the high side. I'd probably offer $100 and see if they bite.

thank you guys i appreciate the insight, are the corny kegs tall and skinny. I saw some that were tall and skinny in my LHBS yesterday. Ill give the guy a call and get some dimensions since hes about an hour away. He has it listed for 250 but I assumed that keg wouldn't work. I asked him for a price without the keg and he said 220. so assuming the dimension meet requirements for the corny keg maybe I will offer 120-150
Thanks

The kegerator alone retails for around $500. He will probably laugh at a $150 offer.

Retail, new, this one isn't and looks a bit beat;)

I always start low and go from there but YMMV:)

Sent from the Commune

Back