Beginner from NJ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcwarhammer

Reaction score
I'll be starting to give home brewing a try as a new hobby. I just wanted to say hello to all and see if there are any locals!

-Bill

Not from jersey but hey welcome anyways this is a great forum and the people are great to very helpful

Hello everyone!

Well, I'm excited to get started. Some friends are getting me a brew kit as a gift, I should have it soon. All i need now is to decide on my first brew and to get a a brew pot, both of which I'm having difficulty making a decision about.

Toms River!

When I was in high school my parents shipped me off to Admiral Farragut Academy.
Got my a$$ thrown out! :cross:

Greetings!

I'm originally from Jersey, now I live in IL.

However, I am currently in Rockaway.

I went to the NJHOPZ club meeting in Hackettstown last night and met an interesting group of 6 fellow brewers.

Elkdog, there's another brewer, ToiletRocker who also lives in Madison...unless that IS you and you've changed your name again...:D

For you Absecon guys...I used to live in AC so I've been through Absecon hundreds of times.

Been through Toms River a lot when I lived in Browns Mills and Mt Hoilly...on the way to Seaside Heights. I still have friends who live there, and my sister died there a few years back.

Greetings one and all!!:mug:

Toms River!

When I was in high school my parents shipped me off to Admiral Farragut Academy.
Got my a$$ thrown out! :cross:

oh man, AFA is pretty much (if not all) gone, its all houses now. I have a friend that lives right there, we used to go skateboard through AFA when we were younger!

Mcwarhammer welcome and if you are in the Hackettstown area anytime give us a shoutout here at NJHOPZ.

Welcome...

HB 99 - We had a great time sipping all of your meads and ciders. They were great. It was awesome meeting someone from afar who shares our afinity. Thanks again for coming, Bill. Maybe someday soon we could share a stein over in the motherland together, someday...

Good luck Mcwarhammer... welcome to the addiction. ps... I suggest that you start out with what you feel comfortable with. I started with a 20 qt kettle which is perfect to have 3 - 4 gallon boils allowing you to cool the wort quickly in an ice bath in the sink then rack it ontop of cooled water again 1-2 gal. I would also suggest brew what you like. Maybe start of simple with an APA or IPA with two to three hop additions and then move into something more complex. With the 5 gallon system you will find it to be very versitile. You can brew indoors or out with this system. Again these are suggestions, do what you feel comfprtable with.

Good luck and have fun.

WW

HB 99 - We had a great time sipping all of your meads and ciders. They were great. It was awesome meeting someone from afar who shares our afinity. Thanks again for coming, Bill. Maybe someday soon we could share a stein over in the motherland together, someday...
Like I said last night...had a great time...you guys made me feel right at home. :mug:

Maybe we'll get the the O'fest one day...:tank:(You're the character here on the right, right?..)

Sorry to disappoint, but I got back to the hotel and found a bottle of that Prickly Pear Mead in the fridge...ARGH!!! We could have killed that bottle too...sorry...:eek:

i would love to check out the clubs. WHALES meets much closer, but i'd love to take the occasional drive to Hackettstown, but it's quite far.

I obviously don't have any homebrews to bring along with me, but once I get going, I will!

Hey from the upper end of the Dirty Jerz!,Oh and Bill....You're not here for the hunting?.....Are ya?

+1 on Willie 3's advice ,brew what and how you like to start, after some time,You MAY have issues with seperation anxiety when you cant brew.My suggestion is read all you can here on HBT and other Brewing forums,Listen to Podcasts about homebrewing and create your own process and gear selection based on some good ideas,Creativity is key,man!! I love the DIY stuff and am always building Sh*T! Welcome aboard,May the force carb be with you

Peace and Gravy!!

Brewslut

Greetings!

Elkdog, there's another brewer, ToiletRocker who also lives in Madison...unless that IS you and you've changed your name again...:D
:

Nope. There are two of us. Very cool. I hope to make it to an NJHOPZ meeting, and might get to meet up with artbrau, who lives 5 min. away from me, this weekend.

Back