beginner equipment question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rand95

Reaction score
So if i missed this and someone else already asked i apolagize.so there is a store very near my house callef homebrew heaven.they have a website so please take a few mins and check out their beginner brewing kit.the more expensive one.i am planning on buying that with a brew pot with the drain and thermometer.is this a good idea or have you hys haf bettet luck with something else? Sorry i cant post the link im on my phone.thanks.

Looks like a hell of a deal to me. I hardly believe the price is right as it doesn't seem to change when I pick options. But if you can get all that for $237 dollars you should snap it up. Most places you would not get a brew pot, immersion chiller, or hydrometer for that. If the "instructional book" is How to Brew, that is really a bonus.

Good luck with it. It's a great hobby.

http://store.homebrewheaven.com/deluxe-brewing-equipment-kit-p2126.aspx

http://store.homebrewheaven.com/boilermaker-brewing-pots---75-gallons-to-55-gallons-p1646.aspx

These? If it was me I would make the carboy a glass one as the reason for a secondary is bulk aging long term and plastic can allow oxygen in over time. One thing to think about when getting a nice brew kettle like that is to buy double what you think you want to brew so your not finding your self needing to up grade in a years time or when you want to move to all grain. other then that looks pretty good to me.

Yeah its that first link you posted.the deluxe kit.thanks for posting it and the insight on ehat you would upgrade.yeah this seemed like a pretty good deal to me value wise.jusy from the little i know from reading about the different kits.

If it were me, I'd go with the basic kit and add a chiller. I have a carboy and very rarely use it. There is no reason to use a secondary for most beers and it just adds a step that can increase your chance of infection. Use the money you save to add another bucket fermenter and more ingredients. It's the ingredients that make beer, not deluxe equipment kits.

Ok thanks for the point on the carboy.yeah i was wondering about that brew pot as well.thanks for the continuing help.

I agree with people saying to upgrade the pot if you can. You def want to understand how much space you need for a desired batch size. Ex. If you want a 5 gallon batch you can't get a 5 gallon pot, you'd need an 8+ because of the boil and boil overs. Same with if you wanted to do a 10 gallon batch you'd need a decently big pot. When people diss the carboy just know that it is only if you don't find a use for it. They are generally used for oaking, dry hopping, adding fruits/flavors, or some people use them to help clear the beer. I've done most of those and do enjoy my carboys.

also a carboy comes in handy if you want to do things other then beer like cider mead and wine.

also check out the capper some have posted on here that the black one has metal parts against the bottle and breaks them if your not real carefull. try to upgrade to the red one it fits better or the countertop press one

Back