Beginner brewing equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose5180

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have zero brewing equipment and would like to start brewing. I see they sell kits with "everything" you need. I want to buy the right stuff the first time, are there any of these kits you recommend? Is buying it by the piece better? What i dont want to do is buy a "kit" just to end up upgrading in 6 months to the real stuff. Thanks for any suggestions

Check your kitchen, it could be that you already have a lot of the stuff you need for all grain biab brewing. A big pot, laddle, stove, thermometer, kitchen scale. You can sew a biab bag or buy one. For fermentation you could take 1 gallon pet bottles.

Maybe 1 gallon kitchen brewing is something for you, i wrote an article about it:

https://lukasholenweg.com/2017/05/27/1-gallon-kitchen-brewing/

If you want to do 5 gallon batches you need a 10 gallon pot and a propane burner, no not a camp stove but a regular burner. then buy a large 7+ gallon fermonster for fermenting. you will also need a thermometer and a scale that can read in grams or ounces. A Hydrometer is v very useful. . An y of the deluxe kits by the larger b brew houses will get you most of the basics. If you start with extract it is very easy. If you do the BIAB or all grain it is more complicated but there is better beer to be drank. Extract will make great beer but there are limits with what you can do. The time too make a one gallon b batch is almost the same as a 5 gallon batch. The cost for a 5 gallon extract batch is 30 and up. the cost for all grain is 30% cheaper more or less. I would read a brewing book or two and look at this forum before I spent my money. :mug:

Do a little reading and then check out Northern Brewers Fathers Day offer. A starter kit 10% off, free shipping, and a $50 gift card. The gift card can be used for a hydrometer and part of the cost of a bench capper. Add some Star San for sanitizing.

The 5 gallon secondary could be used for 3 to 4 gallon recipes.

I started with one gallon batches because I wanted to try out all grain and didn't have the room or the budget for larger all-grain batches.

You likely already have a stock pot that will work, get your grains and a muslin bag and do brew in a bag on your stove top! If you want to do extract instead, that's even easier. Boil the water, turn off the heat, add the extract and you're ready to boil again and add hops.

Around here, you can get one-gallon kits at Bed Bath and Beyond and it's really really simple.

For me, it's not the brewing that really takes the time -- and the amount of effort between a 1-gallon all grain and 5-gallon extract batch is minimal. What is time consuming is the CLEANING and sanitization. And that is how you get good beer.

When I was looking at equipment, I knew I was eventually going to scale up, so I got the Brewer's Best Equipment kit that came with a 6-gallon fermenting bucket, bottling bucket, hydrometer, capper, tubing, etc. I then supplemented a 2-gallon bucket to ferment my smaller batches. I already had a stock pot, so then all I needed was a recipe and some ingredients.

I priced out the one-gallon equipment kits, even buying everything seperately, and it would have ended up being more expensive than just getting the bigger kit to start with, using the tools I needed anyway and just using a smaller fermenter.

If you want to do 5 gallon batches you need a 10 gallon pot and a propane burner, no not a camp stove but a regular burner. then buy a large 7+ gallon fermonster for fermenting.

This is a bit extreme, imo, and quite a bit of money for a potential hobby that they may not even enjoy.

I actually agree with the above. Original poster said he wants to do it right the first time which is difficult without spending a good amount of money. I replaced a ton of stuff through the years. I'd recommend getting a 10 gallon SS kettle with spigot, propane burner, siphon and some tubing, starsan and a 6g better bottle with bung+airlock for fermenting. That way you can definitely do 5g extract batches. Keep in mind, it'd be a little time consuming to cool 6g of wort by just using a bucket of ice so maybe an immersion chiller. Ultimately, everything I mentioned can be used for years and integrated into all grain if/when you make that move. I'd stay away from those beginners brew kits. I bought one when I first started and don't use any of it nowadays.

I totally know where you are coming from. Problem is, at this point, you really don't really know what you need quite yet.

I found it very helpful to meet and watch fellow home brewers (maybe find a local club) use various kinds of equipment when they met to brew together. Beginners are welcome and encouraged as your participation increases the active brewer base in the area.

A beginners kit is fine and can offer some good savings. Of all the stuff that comes in a kit, I may only use a token item or two of that original package. Most is beginner level gear, so the really decent items are sold individually. Watch a brew day or two and see what they use...it will open the door for you to choose wisely.

I totally know where you are coming from. Problem is, at this point, you really don't really know what you need quite yet.

I found it very helpful to meet and watch fellow home brewers (maybe find a local club) use various kinds of equipment when they met to brew together. Beginners are welcome and encouraged as your participation increases the active brewer base in the area.

A beginners kit is fine and can offer some good savings. Of all the stuff that comes in a kit, I may only use a token item or two of that original package. Most is beginner level gear, so the really decent items are sold individually. Watch a brew day or two and see what they use...it will open the door for you to choose wisely.

I agree. My first brew day was with a group from my workplace, rather than on my own equipment, and it got me hooked. But they had really fancy equipment that I couldn't hope to afford right now (cooler HLT, cooler MashTun, Keggle, etc). However, even with beginner equipment and smaller batches, the process is mostly the same, so the experience was still very valuable.

I agree. My first brew day was with a group from my workplace, rather than on my own equipment, and it got me hooked. But they had really fancy equipment that I couldn't hope to afford right now (cooler HLT, cooler MashTun, Keggle, etc). However, even with beginner equipment and smaller batches, the process is mostly the same, so the experience was still very valuable.

Absolutely. All grain is a very good thing, and while it seems most experienced brewers end up there, many start with extract as a way to tune in the brewing experience.

A potential pitfall is say you start extract on your stovetop and do a few successful batches. You boil 2 or 3 gallons of water, add extract to boil, then top off the water to volume in the fermenter. Say you do this 5 times, then decide to move up to AG.

BIAB is a good landing pad and I use that method mostly now days. But your small kettle wont work any longer, and probably not your stovetop either. Sooooo, you need to buy bigger stuff to shift over. This is a likely scenario, not saying this will happen to you, but it does happen more than you think. I'm only suggesting that it is wise on your part to have an idea in mind of what lies ahead in your future as a brewer. You'll avoid that too small kettle and invest in one that can continue to work for you as you grow.

I think if. you read the last sentence of my original post it said to read. With some reading he will be armed with the knowledge to make a good decision. And Honestly from a five gallon perspective I gave advice that would keep him from buying twice. The fermonster is 35 or less a nice camp burner is less than 110 and a aluminum pot can be found cheap also for50.or so Then he could add up the small things he would need which will be his discretion. Cheers Gentlemen!

I think if. you read the last sentence of my original post it said to read. With some reading he will be armed with the knowledge to make a good decision. And Honestly from a five gallon perspective I gave advice that would keep him from buying twice. The fermonster is 35 or less a nice camp burner is less than 110 and a aluminum pot can be found cheap also for50.or so Then he could add up the small things he would need which will be his discretion. Cheers Gentlemen!

I know someone disagreed your original options, but I support your thoughts. Professional billiard players don't look at the shot currently in front of them...they are looking several shots ahead.

I started looking ahead of where I was currently and thought in more general or larger terms. It took me a year or two to "grow" into the larger setup, but when I did I, was ahead of the game...or at least I didn't have to buy twice.

Hey guys, i have zero brewing equipment and would like to start brewing. I see they sell kits with "everything" you need. I want to buy the right stuff the first time, are there any of these kits you recommend? Is buying it by the piece better? What i dont want to do is buy a "kit" just to end up upgrading in 6 months to the real stuff. Thanks for any suggestions

And I suggest you buy a kit, Brooklyn Brewers have basic kits. What's in the box?

All-Grain Ingredient Mix
Gallon (3.8 L) Glass Fermenter
Glass Spirit-Filled Thermometer
Vinyl Tubing
Racking Cane & Tip
Chambered Airlock
Brooklyn Brew Shop Cleanser
Screw-Cap Stopper

Yes you will have upgraded a lot of it. BUT it's grain-based. You do a lot of work. You're boiling, watching temperatures, stirring, watching the time, curse at the pot when it won't cool fast enough, bite nails because ohmygodohmygod it't taking too long. But a few weeks later you WILL have beer, and made it yourself. Will it be the best ever? Meh. It's drinkable, at least, but YOU made it. And you'll write it in a spreadsheet ("Big Log" you'll name it, because you like Robert Plant). You'll download a book, because interesting. Then you'll by two, because one doesn't cover it, and reading is good, right?

And then the upgrading starts. Bigger demi, other yeasts, extract? why not?, nutrient, hydrometer, you name it. Will you discard your beginner set? NO. Because you'll use it for smaller batches, for mead or cider (because brewing FUN :) ).

A brewer NEVER has everything. A brewer has never enough, but ALWAYS enough to enjoy himself.

Dammit I'm crying now, I'm gonna drink HOMEBREWN cider. Because I can. :rockin:

Last edited:
Wow, that is some great information! I appreciate all the replies. Still doing a bit of homework but think i will end up getting a kit. I talked to a friend who home brews and he pointed me in the right direction, and said if he was starting from scratch he would start pretty basic as he has spend several thousand dollars on equipment over the years. Thanks guys im excited to add another hobby

I bought Northern Brewer's Deluxe equipment kit. It came with all the little things and opted for Better Bottles as the fermenters. A 6 gallon one and a 5 gallon for secondary. I started with their extract kits. I used a 5 gallon aluminum stock pot I already had. The current kit does not include a hydrometer the last I looked. You will want one.

There are only an item or two in all that I don't still use.

I think it is worth taking time to look and try to figure out if you will still use it later. I even bought another 5 gallon pot, stainless steel cheapy from a local store for $20.

I would advise against jumping straight to $200 ten gallon pot without knowing you will stick with the hobby. Or that you decide you want to do 10 gallon batches, then you have a $200 pot that is too small.

Either easy steps and risk having to buy more, or research and hope you buy once and get the right thing the first time.

And I suggest you buy a kit, Brooklyn Brewers have basic kits. What's in the box?

All-Grain Ingredient Mix
Gallon (3.8 L) Glass Fermenter
Glass Spirit-Filled Thermometer
Vinyl Tubing
Racking Cane & Tip
Chambered Airlock
Brooklyn Brew Shop Cleanser
Screw-Cap Stopper

Yes you will have upgraded a lot of it. BUT it's grain-based. You do a lot of work. You're boiling, watching temperatures, stirring, watching the time, curse at the pot when it won't cool fast enough, bite nails because ohmygodohmygod it't taking too long. But a few weeks later you WILL have beer, and made it yourself. Will it be the best ever? Meh. It's drinkable, at least, but YOU made it. And you'll write it in a spreadsheet ("Big Log" you'll name it, because you like Robert Plant). You'll download a book, because interesting. Then you'll by two, because one doesn't cover it, and reading is good, right?

And then the upgrading starts. Bigger demi, other yeasts, extract? why not?, nutrient, hydrometer, you name it. Will you discard your beginner set? NO. Because you'll use it for smaller batches, for mead or cider (because brewing FUN :) ).

A brewer NEVER has everything. A brewer has never enough, but ALWAYS enough to enjoy himself.

Dammit I'm crying now, I'm gonna drink HOMEBREWN cider. Because I can. :rockin:
hahaha Love Robert Plant! Pass the cider:rockin:

I started with a 5 gallon kit rather than buying individual items. I think it was the best decision due to not knowing if it was something I would enjoy doing. If you haven't bought a kit yet I did some looking around and this is what I found

Adventures in Homebrewing $159.99 Complete Kit

Northern Brewer $99.99 does not include glass carboy, does include malt kit

MoreBeer $129.99 Complete kit with Pale Ale recipe kit

Midwest supplies $99.99 does not include glass carboy, does include Malt Kit

If I was to choose a kit I would go with the kit from Morebeer. It does not have a glass carboy, but the plastic carboys are nice due to the wide mouth. Allows easier cleaning. Any kind of carboy is nice when buying a kit, it allows you to have a secondary ferment which some recipes require.
With all kits you will need a way to bottle your beer. So don't forget your bottles. Hope this helps!

Back