Beginner Brewer- Critique my Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmacdon3

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm completely new to home brewing and have decided to take this up as my next hobby! I've been doing tons of research the last couple weeks and have been reading How to Brew by John Palmer. I also am signed up for a beginner brewing class next week at a LHBS. I have been shopping around for the supplies and am attempting to not overspend here more than needed. What do you guys think about this set up or is there better/cheaper options? I plan on doing extract brewing for a while then eventually all grain.

At the LHBS they give you a 20% off coupon after taking the class so I plan on buying some of this stuff at that shop (Brew and Grow) The discount is included in prices below

---Brewers Best Deluxe Beer Brewing Equipment Kit- $103
http://www.brewandgrow.com/brew/equ...s/deluxe-brewers-best-beer-equipment-kit.html

For the kettle I can't decide if I want/need the NPT fittings with thermometer and ball valve additions. What are the advantages of having the valve? I thought aggressively pouring the cooled wort into the fermenter was ideal to aerate it? Here are some options I'm considering.

---Economy Kettle - 9 Gallon w/ 1/2" NPT Fittings- $72
http://www.brewandgrow.com/brew/equipment/brew-kettles/economy-kettle-w-1-2-npt-fittings.html

If I got that I would need this valve.
---Ball Valve 2 Piece 1/2" Stainless Steel- $20
http://www.brewandgrow.com/brew/equ...s/ball-valve-2-piece-1-2-stainless-steel.html

Then I'm hoping I can attach the thermometer that comes in the kit for the other NPT fitting above the valve.

Or...

---Northern brewer tall boy kettle 10gal- $110

For the wort chiller it seemed that eBay was the cheapest option.
---25' copper immersion wort chiller from NYbrewsupply- $50
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-S...659?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4399efc9db

Should I go for the 50' instead?

For these full 5 gallon batches I think I will need a propane burner.
---Bayou Classic SP10- $48.98
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Think this will be an OK beer for my first brew?
---Imperial Blonde Ale Ingredient Kit | Brewers Best- $37.50
http://www.brewandgrow.com/brew/ingredient-kits/imperial-blonde-ale-brewers-best.html

Other random things I plan on buying...
---32oz starsan
---A strainer
---Funnel
---Carboy handle
---Propane tank
---Jet bottle washer

What do you guys think? Am I forgetting anything I need? Thank for the advice :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Racking cane
Carbon brush & drying stand.
Bottling bucket.
Fermenting bucket
Many airlocks (they break)
Wide selection of tubing (because you never have what you need)
Bottles
Caps
Capper
Extra buckets for cleaner and sanitizer
Spray bottle for starsan.
Refractometer

It's a decent load of gear, but it's a lot if fun.
I've been doing small batch stuff so I can do more, more often.
Good luck man!

Thanks! The kit that I linked above includes these supplies
-6.5 Gallon Fermenting Bucket

-Bucket Lid with Grommet
-Econo-Lock 3 piece airlock
-5 Gallon Glass Carboy
-Carboy Bung
-6.5 Gallon Bottling Bucket
-Siphon Hose with Shut-Off Clamp
-Lab Thermometer

-Combination Bottle Filler
-Fermtech Auto-Siphon

-Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser

-Carboy Brush
-Plastic Paddle 24-Inch

-Beer Bottle Brush
-Triple Scale Hydrometer
-Dual Scale Liquid Crystal Thermometer

-Double Lever Capper

Good idea with the extra buckets. I also will probably get an extra fermentation bucket and airlock because after the first batch I'm not going to want to wait long before brewing another batch!

You seem to be off to a pretty good start but I have two thoughts. You won't be able to use the thermometer that comes in the kit to plug the higher threaded fitting if you get a kettle with holes. You also don't need to pay $20 for a ball valve, stuff luck that is way cheaper online. You could probably get a 3 piece ball valve and a threaded thermometer for about 20 shipped if you look around.

If you have any local bakeries, ask if they have food grade buckets. I get mine at a bakery for $1 with the lid. They've had frosting or some other bakery stuff in them, I use them to hold star san, drill a hole in the top for a stopper, now its a fermenter, I put my grain in one and put the lid on till I need it, you can drill a 1" hole near the bottom add the bottling faucet for about $4 and now you have the bottling bucket or a bottom draining fermenter.
A valve for your brew pot is nice, but I don't have one yet, I cool the wort, let it settle then siphon it out and keep the trub out of the fermenter.
A walmart cooler and a BIAB bag works good for a mash tun. Add the ball valve and a hose and your ready to mash.
A big plastic stir spoon is a must. I have a mash paddle, but thats really an extra.
Look on your local craigslist, sometimes you can find brewing stuff there.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I will try and shop around online to find a cheaper threaded thermometer and ball valve. I do know of a local restaurant that sells plastic buckets with lids for cheap so I can grab one or two of those.

Can someone explain the advantage of the ball valve on the kettle? Is it just easier than siphoning or does prevent you from transferring lots of trub? I figure I'm going to be pouring the wort back and forth a couple times to aerate it anyways.

Does that wort chiller look ok to you guys? Will the 25' be sufficient? I am worried about how I am going to connect this to a water source as my kitchen faucet has a sprayer. Maybe I can connect it to my shower?

Thanks for the tips everyone. I will try and shop around online to find a cheaper threaded thermometer and ball valve. I do know of a local restaurant that sells plastic buckets with lids for cheap so I can grab one or two of those.

Can someone explain the advantage of the ball valve on the kettle? Is it just easier than siphoning or does prevent you from transferring lots of trub? I figure I'm going to be pouring the wort back and forth a couple times to aerate it anyways.

Does that wort chiller look ok to you guys? Will the 25' be sufficient? I am worried about how I am going to connect this to a water source as my kitchen faucet has a sprayer. Maybe I can connect it to my shower?

To me, a ball valve is more convenient than siphoning (not to mention the fact that I use a counterflow chiller which is easier to adapt to the ball valve). I can just connect and let it drain.

No problem oxidizing at the end of boil. Yeast need the extra O2.

I'd use an outdoor hose connected to your chiller. If not, put in a tee under the kitchen sink.

Back