Beginner beer brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuzzim2real

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to beer brewing and today my wife brought me a Thomas pilsner brewing kit. I followed the instructions given to me by the merchant to a T, except the included sticky thermometer would not show a temp. I assumed (and I know better but I was just anxious at the time) the temp was low enough to add the yeast. I added ice to the mixture to cool it off before I put the yeast in, but my question is, if it was too hot when I added the yeast what kind of product should I expect? I'm sorry if there is already a FAQ on this already but I'm kind of nervous as this is my first batch. Thanks in advance for any answers.

First, welcome to the brewing fanaticism.

Now, get yourself a thermometer, a meat thermometer will do for now so you can check the temp of your wort. More accurate thermometers are available for under $20, but most any probe thermometer will do to start. You want to pitch yeast at fermentation temps or slightly under. The sticky thermometer is for the fermenter and the wort may have been too high a temp to register.

Second, don't add ice to the wort unless you are sure it's sanitized frozen water (often it isn't). Most likely adding ice from an ice maker can introduce infection. Better to chill it down in an ice bath. Frozen ice bottles are OK to add to the wort after the outside of the bottle has been sanitized.

Third, you may be fine depending on how warm the wort was when you pitched. You typically don't kill yeast cells unless you're around 120F. You may have some off flavors, but it will make beer.

And lastly, Don't worry, just let it go and see what happens. Brewing is a robust process and is somewhat forgiving. If you're serious about continuing in brewing, get a copy of How To Brew by John Palmer. It will get you there.

Have fun most of all!

First, welcome to the brewing fanaticism.

Now, get yourself a thermometer, a meat thermometer will do for now so you can check the temp of your wort. More accurate thermometers are available for under $20, but most any probe thermometer will do to start. You want to pitch yeast at fermentation temps or slightly under. The sticky thermometer is for the fermenter and the wort may have been too high a temp to register.

Second, don't add ice to the wort unless you are sure it's sanitized frozen water (often it isn't). Most likely adding ice from an ice maker can introduce infection. Better to chill it down in an ice bath. Frozen ice bottles are OK to add to the wort after the outside of the bottle has been sanitized.

Third, you may be fine depending on how warm the wort was when you pitched. You typically don't kill yeast cells unless you're around 120F. You may have some off flavors, but it will make beer.

And lastly, Don't worry, just let it go and see what happens. Brewing is a robust process and is somewhat forgiving. If you're serious about continuing in brewing, get a copy of How To Brew by John Palmer. It will get you there.

Have fun most of all!

Thanks for the reply hare!!!

Sadly I already put the ice in :(. Good thing is my ice is filtered...hopefully that helps....If it does become infected is it still drinkable? Or should it be thrown out? I put the fermenter in the bath tub in ice water and I'm pretty sure it wasn't over 120 degrees when I added the yeast. Also is it safe to open up the fermenter?

From what I've read, not much that is dangerous can grow in beer. But infections can cause some monster funky flavors. Just let it ride and see how it turns out. No since wasting it until you're sure its bad.

As to opening the fermenter, remember every time you mess around with it a chance to get infected exists. Might be a very small one but still there.

I totally understand the desire to see whats going on in there. Get a good glass or plastic carboy to solve this dilemma.
I use glass and have never broken one. Plastic is definitely safer. They both have pros and cons do a search on this site to see the dangers of glass.

The chances of infection are pretty small. They can materialize in the form of off flavors (but brewing issues can cause this too) or gushers, where the beer spews foam when they are opened. For the most part, even infected beer isn't going to hurt you. Alcohol is an inhospitable environment for pathogens. In my experience, any beer that could even be remotely harmful, is gonna taste so bad you won't want to drink it.
It is OK to open the fermenter if you absolutely have to, just do it only when necessary. I keep a spray bottle of sanitizer around for spraying surfaces (like fementer lids) to minimize chances of infection.

Thanks for the reply hare!!!

Sadly I already put the ice in :(. Good thing is my ice is filtered...hopefully that helps....If it does become infected is it still drinkable? Or should it be thrown out? I put the fermenter in the bath tub in ice water and I'm pretty sure it wasn't over 120 degrees when I added the yeast. Also is it safe to open up the fermenter?

Hello and Welcome !

Dont open the fermenter, just leave your beer to finish, the more you open it up the greater chance of a infection.

I use to add ice to my wort to cool it down to pitching temps, most likely your beer won't get infected.

I still use a rope handle tub $6 at walmart to help cool my fermenters to pitching temps, and keep them at fermenting temps, since the water out of our faucet is 85 deg at this time of year !

If your beer dose become infected it will become sour, you can let it ferment out and bottle it and age it for around a year and then try it to see if it became a great sour.

Also most instructions suck to say the least, leave your beer in the fermenter for 2 weeks at the low end of the recommended temps for whatever yeast you are using.

Then bottle or keg and let age/condition for 2 months, then leave a bottle in the fridge for 3 days, this time in fridge is for the co2 to go into solution, then try it. if its carved up chill all of them for 3 days and enjoy!

If bottling in a small amount of water boil priming sugar and cool it, sanitize bottling bucket and add the boiled priming sugar, then add your beer to bottling bucket (careful not to oxygenate it) slowly mix/stir the beer and priming solution, then bottle it and let age at 70 deg.

Hope this helps !

Cheers :mug:

Welcome to a fantastic hoppy! -hiccup-

I've read in a number of places to NOT follow the instructions in most kits. Rather, to learn about the process and do the process with the provided ingredients. Those ingredients can be only those provided in the kit, or you can add to it. You can learn to steep grains, to do mini-mashes and if you want to drive yourself nuts (if you think I'm kidding read some posts around here!) learn to do all grain brewing down the road. ...But I digress.

Your beer may be fine. It may end up tasting strange for any number of reasons, infection being one of them. Or, again, it may be fine!

As a newer brewer myself I can honestly tell you that if you refer to a good book, like "Learn to Brew" by John J. Palmer, read posts here when you have a question and learn to use a software (like Brewersfriend.com) you will be brewing the best craft beer YOU will ever know. Yours!

Oh, a good magazine to subscribe to is "Brew Your Own" magazine, or "BYO" as it's known. "American Homebrewers Association" is a good resource, and has a good mag also called "Zymergy". ...You plan on being fanatical, right? hehe

Cheers my friend, and best yeast to you.

Latest posts

Back