Beeswax finish on barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binarybison

Reaction score
I got a used 5g balcones barrel. I know smaller barrels are subject to increased oxygen intake due to the higher surface-area-to-volume ratio. I've read some people will cover all or part of their barrel with paraffin wax to reduce the amount of oxygen that seeps in. (http://funkfactorybrewing.blogspot.com/2012/02/paraffin-waxing-barrel.html)

Could similar effects be accomplished using beeswax/mineral oil wood finish. I have some already mixed up that I use to condition my butcher block. Or would the thinner combination thanks to the mineral oil defeat the purpose?

I guess worst-case scenario, my barrel would just look a bit nicer?

Mineral oil is safe to ingest. I'd just suggest you try to keep the ratio of beeswax to oil high, and apply to a warm cask so that there isn't an oily residue on the surface whenever you handle it.
For blacksmithing, the usual surface application is 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 turpentine, 1/3 linseed oil. Obviously you don't want to use turpentine, so I'd suggest experimenting with 2/3 beeswax, and 1/3 mineral oil. Adjust from there, depending on how it applies and soaks in. Keep it warm, or it'll turn into a paste.

A few things to consider. If it's a fresh pour barrel from the distillery you have a clean barrel that is already hydrated. You will have a large surface area to beer ratio. This means you will see a much shorter time frame in the barrel to pull out the bourbon flavors. . I go by 1 month in a 5 gallon barrel is equal to 1 year in a 50 gallon barrel.

If you fill it completely to the top and attach a good airlock or reattach the bung you will not see a huge loss to angel share. It will be done quickly.

If it's an old barrel that has seen shrinkage then you must rehydrate the barrel and you should clean it with citric acid and campden tablet solution to kill any potential for wild bugs.

You can get roughly 3 clean beers out of the barrel before you strip the flavors out. Three beers is also about the max clean beers you can get out before some form of wild bugs take hold. Even if you add additional time to the barrel aging process for the subsequent batches I doubt you'd have beer in the barrel for more than two to three months.

I would not bother with wax and I would not add mineral oil to the barrel. It can only cause problems in my opinion. Mineral oil could possibly make its way into your beer and kill head retention.

If your going sour and you have your heart set on limiting the risk then I'd go wax on the top 1/3 to 1/2 of the barrel. I have not done that on my barrels. I have several 5's a few 10's a 15 and a 30 gallon. They have been holding sour beers for as long as 24 months without issue.

I have added more beer to top off and I have also added sanitized glass marbles to displace the beer and limit headspace. I also mist the tops with sani every so often.

If your going sour add a vinnie nail so you can pull samples without disturbing the pellicle.

Back