Bees in brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This last Sunday I brewed a mini-mash Honey Porter, as the boil got going I noticed bees starting to enter the garage and fly around the brewpot, at any time there were 10-15 bees around. When I emptied the brewpot through the counterflow wort chiller I found a dead bee at the bottom of the brewpot, and when I flushed out the chiller another bee came out of it! I suppose they won't harm the brew as they were boiled. I guess the 2 pounds of honey in the extract attracted them to the boil. Making mead next, I expect a swarm! Any similar incidents?

danceswithbeer said:
This last Sunday I brewed a mini-mash Honey Porter, as the boil got going I noticed bees starting to enter the garage and fly around the brewpot, at any time there were 10-15 bees around. When I emptied the brewpot through the counterflow wort chiller I found a dead bee at the bottom of the brewpot, and when I flushed out the chiller another bee came out of it! I suppose they won't harm the brew as they were boiled. I guess the 2 pounds of honey in the extract attracted them to the boil. Making mead next, I expect a swarm! Any similar incidents?

No similar experiences, but I do note that your user name is one letter away from danceswithbees! I'm sure someone wittier then I could come up with a catchy name for your apicultural brew...Honeybee Porter seems woefully obvious.

BeeGee said:
No similar experiences, but I do note that your user name is one letter away from danceswithbees! I'm sure someone wittier then I could come up with a catchy name for your apicultural brew...Honeybee Porter seems woefully obvious.
At least you could put "Honeybee Porter ... Now made with 100% real Bees!" on the label. (It's too early in the morning, I've got nothing :rolleyes: )

I have yellowjacket hornets zooming around during the brewing process. Haven't found any in the brew so far, but that's what strainers are for. I've had mouse nests in the kettle. Not during the boil fortunately. According to Palmer, anything smaller that a crayon or a bat shouldn't bee a problem.

BeeGee said:
That would be a wicked Halloween brew! I occasionally see some in the yard around dusk...
I've already been told that I look like a warlock stiring my mash tun and boil pot. Throwing a real bat or two in would raise too much suspicion ;)

A Bee In Every Bottle ! We had too much rain here over the past 2 weeks. Ran the ants into the house to escape the flooding, I guess. Woke up one morning to an airlock full of drowned ants. They were on the air side, not the beer side. Poor bastards.

Not that I care even slightly for the suffering of ants, but dying within sniffing distance of homebrew is a sad thing.

Yes! I brewed an IPA two Sundays ago and it was the first time I had brewed in the garage and not the backyard. Every once in awhile a bee would fly into the garage. As I was siphoning into the fermenter, I saw a dead bee floating in the wort. Luckily, I had a sanitized strainer and I scooped the happy bee out!

sudsmonkey said:
You know there are black widows in the Triangle. If I used one of them, I think I'd just kinda steep it prior to the boil and then throw it out. :D

Yeah. I've never been bitten by a black widow, but I have had Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever! Perhaps a tick... We could do a group brew and you have to include the insect/arachnid of your choice. Kind of a homebrewtalk.com Fear Factor.

the crawlspace under my house it crawling with Brown Recluse spiders. Can we say Tissue Necrosis?

My thinking when I moved in here was tha I was going to keep my carboys there. Then I opened the door and saw what was waiting to eat me.

Haven't been back there since, but maybe if we're brewing critterbeer.

-walker

Latest posts

Back