Beerzyme (glycosidase) and Sugar-bound aromatic compounds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewster2256

Reaction score
I started using beerzyme, a glycosidase product to extract extra flavor from added hops. I generally do a whirlpool hop addition followed by knockout hops (day 0 dry hop addition, as we call it). From my understanding, the enzyme splits aromatic terpenes from a glucose molecule, an example being linalool-glucoside splitting into linalool and glucose. From my experience, the process allows a smaller amount of hops to be used to get the desired aroma and flavor, but also the added glucose significantly dries out the beer.

Is there a way to predict the amount of glucose cleaved from the terpenes, in order to alter the recipe to account for the added sugar?

I started using beerzyme, a glycosidase product to extract extra flavor from added hops. I generally do a whirlpool hop addition followed by knockout hops (day 0 dry hop addition, as we call it). From my understanding, the enzyme splits aromatic terpenes from a glucose molecule, an example being linalool-glucoside splitting into linalool and glucose. From my experience, the process allows a smaller amount of hops to be used to get the desired aroma and flavor, but also the added glucose significantly dries out the beer.

Is there a way to predict the amount of glucose cleaved from the terpenes, in order to alter the recipe to account for the added sugar?

I don't know too much about this but if you have a reaction something like

TG + E --> T + G + E; where TG is the terpene with a glucose, E is the enzyme, T is the terpene, and G is the glucose

Can't you test it something like this?

Make hopped water with known amount of hop, water and enzyme, and record gravity over time (or just wait long enough for sufficient reaction to occur). Also, you could try to filter all that out after you see no more increase in gravity, and try to ferment it out to see if it was actually glucose. Assuming that you provide enough enzyme and the reaction goes to completion, then for each hop, you can figure out glucose / lbs of hops.

Might give you a rough idea of how much of glucose is formed (and therefore the amount of terpenes as well). But also note, enzymes are influenced highly on temperature and pH.

I don't know too much about this but if you have a reaction something like

TG + E --> T + G + E; where TG is the terpene with a glucose, E is the enzyme, T is the terpene, and G is the glucose

Can't you test it something like this?

Make hopped water with known amount of hop, water and enzyme, and record gravity over time (or just wait long enough for sufficient reaction to occur). Also, you could try to filter all that out after you see no more increase in gravity, and try to ferment it out to see if it was actually glucose. Assuming that you provide enough enzyme and the reaction goes to completion, then for each hop, you can figure out glucose / lbs of hops.

Might give you a rough idea of how much of glucose is formed (and therefore the amount of terpenes as well). But also note, enzymes are influenced highly on temperature and pH.

That's not a bad idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back