BeerSmith question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
Hey guys, I had BeerSmith2 on my computer with all my recipes. That computer crashed and I was able to get the hardrive out and hook it to my new computer and get all my files off but when I clicked on BeerSmith2 it made me install again and my recipes were not there. I cannot find them anywhere...can you help please!

I've only used beersmith a little bit, but I think unless you've saved your recipes to the cloud you're screwed. Sorry about that big guy! Cheers!

The recipes are on the hard drive, if they were saved on the old computer then they are still On that drive. Try searching the drive for the file name of a recipe with your OS file search function.

I cant imagine you're screwed - if you still have the files on the old hard drive, check out the forums at the beersmith website and post the question. I bet all will be saved.

I believe the program saves backup files, not sure if and how often. I had an issue a couple of years ago with the older version and went to their forum on their website and found a lot of useful info. I would also try to go to the BeerSmith folder on your computer and look for backup files. There should be some files that say "Recipe1.bsmx"....I have a Mac so your extension file may be different.

In the future I would export your files out of the program to your computer or a thumb drive etc...pretty simple to do and this way you always have a backup. Good luck

if it helps my recipes are located in the \My Documents\Beersmith2 folder and are .bsmx files too - they all begin with the word Recipe*.bsmx. I would assume that if you copy all of these files off of the old hard drive and into the new directory, your recipes will reappear.

Back