Beersmith Mash Efficiency Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
So I have started to dial in my system on my last few brews but I am still coming across one issue.

When I input my Pre-Boil Gravity Beersmith sets your Mash Efficiency. My issue with this is that my Pre-Boil Gravity is typically a few points higher than what is projected by Beersmith but my efficiency is still only around 55%.

Using logical thinking wouldn't my efficiency be much higher than 55% if my gravity is over the projected gravity?

Check to make sure your volumes are measured accurately (i.e., pre-boil volume, post-boil volume, boil off %, etc). Then make sure you're using your hydrometer at the correct temperature or using a calculator to correct.

Efficiency is highly dependent on volume.

are talking about brewhouse (total eff) or mash eff. if its brewhouse you can raise or lower that number in your equip profile so that it matches your mash eff %.
My total eff is set at 74 which gives me an 80% mash eff on a 6 gal batch

When the actual Brewhouse efficiency matches BeerSmith's predictions, but the mash efficiency is off by more than a couple of tenths, the issue is typically loss to trub being a bit low.

Increasing the loss to trub increases mash efficiency because BeerSmith keeps the gravity and batch size constant. The less loss to trub, the closer the mash and brewhouse efficiencies become.

When you set loss to trub to 0, your making Brewhouse efficiency the same as kettle efficiency, post chill.

Back