Beersmith ferm profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Santhalas

Reaction score
Hi, i just start using beersmith and i was looking at ferm profiles:
Ale, Two Stage: 4 Days in Primary, 10 days in secondary, Age for 30 days. Two stage ale fermentation suitable for just about any ale. Two stage fermentations are used by many homebrewers to improve flavor by separating the active yeast and trub from the beer early.
But from what i have read, most people are doing 3-4 weeks in primary. A lot of experienced brewers here are giving that advice.

Then i have two questions:
1. In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of this beersmith ferm profile?
2. What would be your recomendation for a "Homebrewtalk" General Ale Profile?:
Primary for ___ Days
Secondary for___ Days
Age ___ Days

Primary until the beer is done, then if you must secondary then rack it and cold crash. I wouldn't bother... just let it ferment out in primary then cold crash for a few days and rack to kegs or bottle.

I think of the Beersmith steps as fermentation notes.

I did a Rye IPA last week and I have the primary at 63 for 4 days. Then raise the temp (free rise) to 68. I treat that step as the 2ndary even though I did not transfer the beer out of primary.

For the 3rd one I treat it as the kegging part. I might cold crash one in the keggor until I serve it.

This "Idea" lets me try to recreate the beers better for the 2nd time around.

Lewy

Fermentation, carbing, and conditioning times all vary based on the style of the beer and the ABV of the beer.

A good rule of thumb for an average gravity beer (1.05-1.06ish) would be 3 weeks primary, 3 weeks carb and condition, and three days at fridge temps before serving. Call it my 3-3-3 plan!

Any lower OG, you can typically get away with less time in primary, but the same carb and condition and fridge times, any higher OG, and you have to scale everything upward, with some imperials and quads needing up to 2-3 extra weeks in primary and up to 2-6 extra MONTHS to carb condition. Some Barleywines even need up to a year to carb and condition.

Those are my basic rules, but there are some styles that require different procedures, like lagers, pilsners, Octoberfests, Marzens, etc.

Back