beersmith/efficiency question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornbread

Reaction score
I downloaded a trial copy of Beersmith. It looks cool but I'm not sure how much I would use it.

Anyhow, I just finished an all grain brew. I punched the numbers into Beersmith to see what my efficiency was. It shows three different numbers.

Actual efficiency: 95.36 %
Efficiency into Boiler: 79.96%
Efficiency as calculated from actual Volume: 75.49%

When I punched my numbers/ingredients into a couple of online calculators I got a totally different number. (Somewhere in the 80s. I don't remember the exact number.)

So... Which number should I use if someone asks about my efficiency?

What was your pre-boil OG, and what was your max OG for your grains? Simply divide it to get your efficiency. So if your actual OG was 1.035 and max was 1.045 , divide 35/45 = 77%.

Post your recipe too if you can

What was your pre-boil OG, and what was your max OG for your grains? Simply divide it to get your efficiency. So if your actual OG was 1.035 and max was 1.045 , divide 35/45 = 77%.

Post your recipe too if you can

The Grain Bill:

7# Vienna
1# Flaked Corn
8 0z. Munich
4 Oz. Caramunich III

Collected 6.5 Gallons (pre-boil) @ 1.039
Post-boil 4.75 Gallons @ 1.050

Thanks for your help.

This is a great thread. I have been looking into brewhouse efficiency as well. Most hydrometers are calibrated to 59 degrees F, so wouldn't you have to adjust the pre-boil gravity reading if it was taken at say a higher temperature? We are assuming that the gravity readings kornbread has taken were at 59 degrees. If it was say taken at 70 degrees wouldn't that result in a higher gravity reading (after temp adjustment)...resulting in a higher brewhouse efficiency as well? It may really only be a couple of points... just a thought though...

This is a great thread. I have been looking into brewhouse efficiency as well. Most hydrometers are calibrated to 59 degrees F, so wouldn't you have to adjust the pre-boil gravity reading if it was taken at say a higher temperature? We are assuming that the gravity readings kornbread has taken were at 59 degrees. If it was say taken at 70 degrees wouldn't that result in a higher gravity reading (after temp adjustment)...resulting in a higher brewhouse efficiency as well? It may really only be a couple of points... just a thought though...

Yes this is true, I assumed he adjusted the pre boil OG based on his temp. Its also a good habit to post your gravity readings based on 59 degrees... since that is what people will assume it is unless you state otherwise. If you did not... you'll need to let us know :)

The hydro readings were taken at 61 deg. F.

Thanks for your calculations. I think that's about the same number that the online calculators came up with.

Do you any idea where the Beersmith numbers come from?

Their is probably some setting that I need to adjust in the software to get a more accurate number.

Back