Beer wine colaboration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NevermoreBrew

Reaction score
So I make beer and my dad makes wine and I want to try and make a colaboration brew with some grapes/grape juice in it. My dad just ordered some old vine Zinfandel grapes and I was thinking I'd make a big ish Belgian beer. I want to ferment the grape with a Belgian yeast and then use an oak spiral in the secondary. My questions is how much grapes or grape juice should I use? I have no idea. I don't want the grapes to over power the beer but I want it to be noticeable. Does anybody have any experience with this or any suggestions?

I made a quad/dark strong and dosed some bottles with a Chilean carmenere. About 1 -2 oz per bottle. When tasting I found there was a nice marriage of berry and tannin and beer. I did have some friends that did not quite agree.

Please note, the base beer was fermented on the cool side to keep esters and phenols down. I have a few bottles in the cellar that I can do another tasting tonight and post thoughts if interested.

Cheers

Did you use just the grape juice? Any thoughts about fermenting with the whole grapes? That's good advice to ferment cooler. How cool are we talking? I have a fridge with a temp control so I can do just about any temperature.

Back