Beer to Wine question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johny123472

Reaction score
I know this question has probably been asked multiple times, but after two days of review I have yet to get a definitive answer. I am a recent beer brewer and want to switch over to wine for a bit.

Can the multiple 5 gallon glass carboys I have be used for wine making as a primary and a secondary?

If they can, will someone please direct me to some recipes that will work. Specifically geared to a beginners qualification.

of course they can, and they will work for any recipe that is targeted for 5 gallon carboys and under.

Depends on what your making. If you are using fresh grapes or fruit its going to be hard to get in and out of the neck. Plus at the start it needs lots of oxygen.

Apfelwein can be made and use the same one carboy.......no primary needed.

Also, a must eruption incident can blow out your airlock if you have no headspace in your primary.

if you are worried about explosion just use a blow off valve. I dont primary ferment in carboys anymore but you can do it if you are careful.

Back