Beer thief vs. turkey baster for samples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
I need to get something to take samples for hydro readings. I was going to get a beer thief but then I keep reading reviews of people bitching about them not sealing well, leaking, etc. So then I thought about a turkey baster, with the removable bulb (for sanitizing). The baster may be cheaper as well. Any pros/cons to using the baster over the thief? Thanks.

I have used a turkey baster for years. It gets the job done. The only thing I found was I put mine in the dishwasher and it now has a small crack. Be careful how you clean yours.

I've used an inexpensive baster for years without issue. It does take two sucks to get enough for a gravity sample.

I also use the baster to fill my racking cane and tubing with star San prior to racking, easy and less parts to fail then an auto siphon.

Maybe I should try it instead of dunking my whole hand in with the tube 2 fill it up 4 a sample

Maybe I should try it instead of dunking my whole hand in with the tube 2 fill it up 4 a sample

395847d5f7b617e88f6330d1b8236908_400x400.jpeg

Fantastic advice, everyone. Really appreciate it. Gonna go with the baster. Now I just need to get a test jar since my hydrometer didn't come with a tube worth a crap to take readings in. It's way too short. Gonna get a graduated cylinder. Just waiting on replies in my other thread to see if 12" tall is adequate.

I picked up a Stainless Steel turkey baster last year for around $9 at the LHBS. I take the bulb off and just use my thumb to cover the top when taking samples (avoids leaking even more). It works great, and the SS is easy to clean and not have to worry about cracking/scratches for sanitizing.

You could certainly use a cheaper one, but $9 was fine for me, knowing it will last pretty much indefinitely.

Fantastic advice, everyone. Really appreciate it. Gonna go with the baster. Now I just need to get a test jar since my hydrometer didn't come with a tube worth a crap to take readings in. It's way too short. Gonna get a graduated cylinder. Just waiting on replies in my other thread to see if 12" tall is adequate.

What is the length of your hydrometer? That should be all you need, if it is under 12 I think you're good. And, I also use a cheap turkey baster-- just keep it clean take the bulb off to let it dry out thoroughly after use.

I think you have probably made your decision but I will give my 2 cents anyway because it's different. I use a thief. It was like 4 bucks and I had nothing and figured a basted would be about the same price. I like it because I can pull a good size sample and I can test right in the thief if I want to. I will say that it drips but I think it's coming off the outside not from the sample.

I bought a small graduated cylinder but quickly started using the tube the hydrometer comes in for taking samples. The graduated cylinder takes like 4x as much wort to get a reading and wasnt worth it IMO. If I take, say, 2 readings for a beer before packing, its like 1.5 beers down the drain

If the tube was able to contain the hydrometer int he first place, itll be fine for readings. All it needs to do is float. Worst case scenario, you need to fill the tube up to the brim. Still less wort lost than a graduated cylinder

I bought a small graduated cylinder but quickly started using the tube the hydrometer comes in for taking samples. The graduated cylinder takes like 4x as much wort to get a reading and wasnt worth it IMO. If I take, say, 2 readings for a beer before packing, its like 1.5 beers down the drain

If the tube was able to contain the hydrometer int he first place, itll be fine for readings. All it needs to do is float. Worst case scenario, you need to fill the tube up to the brim. Still less wort lost than a graduated cylinder
Thanks moops. The case or tube it came in is two separate pieces. So I could only use one. And it's only about 5-6" tall.

+1 for Moops.

I immediately went from baster to thief. The thief is the right diameter for the hydrometer. Less beer wasted getting a sample.

I have used the turkey baster and it does work as others have mentioned. Alternatively you can also sanitize your Hydrometer and put it in the fermenter to measure your gravity. I find this works great and avoids any losses to the sample jar.

Obviously this works best with bucket style fermenters with a large open lid. You likely don't have this option with carboys.

Thanks moops. The case or tube it came in is two separate pieces. So I could only use one. And it's only about 5-6" tall.

oh yeah, ive seen those cases that come apart in the middle. Were there any other hydrometers? like one for wine that has a different case?

Maybe you could cut the end off and tape them together in the middle

Just don't be dumb and let this happen like I did. The bottom half of my baster fell off into a year old sour. Seems to taste good still.

20160129_152146.jpg

I need to get something to take samples for hydro readings. I was going to get a beer thief but then I keep reading reviews of people bitching about them not sealing well, leaking, etc. So then I thought about a turkey baster, with the removable bulb (for sanitizing). The baster may be cheaper as well. Any pros/cons to using the baster over the thief? Thanks.

I started out with a plastic beer thief (the kind that you move up and down in the beer and a one-way valve prevents the beer from draining) then moved onto a stainless steel thief, which is basically a big ol' turkey baster with a rubber bulb on the end.

I didn't like how the yeast at the bottom got all stirred up from the shaking, and I like stainless more than I like plastic. The turkey baster thing does leak more than the other thing, though.

I only test before im ready to keg to make sure everything went ok, i usually just sanitize my hand and a small glass and dunk it in to get enough to fill my tube for my hydrometer and a small sample.

Then again this only probably works because im kegging and its getting chilled immediately so no infections can really take hold, if your bottling that's another story. That said regardless of how often you see it here ive found its pretty hard to infect already fermented beer :)

I must have been doing something wrong when I tried to use a stainless steel baster I bought specifically for brewing (actually I accidentally bought two but that's another story). It kept leaking and making a big mess. And I know it was sealed ok on the bulb end. I think there may be a technique to it that I wasn't getting.

After cleaning a couple of messes from it, I decided to try something else. I sanitized a stainless steel ladle from my kitchen and then used it to gently scoop up a sample. Used a small funnel to pour it into the sample tube.

Relatively mess-free, and it didn't cost me any (more) money.

I must have been doing something wrong when I tried to use a stainless steel baster I bought specifically for brewing (actually I accidentally bought two but that's another story). It kept leaking and making a big mess. And I know it was sealed ok on the bulb end. I think there may be a technique to it that I wasn't getting.

After cleaning a couple of messes from it, I decided to try something else. I sanitized a stainless steel ladle from my kitchen and then used it to gently scoop up a sample. Used a small funnel to pour it into the sample tube.

Relatively mess-free, and it didn't cost me any (more) money.

With a baster you have to keep it nearly vertical after taking a sample. If you tilt the baster at all air leaks in from the hole in the bottom and breaks the suction that's holding in the liquid.

Thanks, I'm going to practice with water. I should have done that first, but I didn't realize it would be so tricky (for me at least). My ladle method won't work with a carboy, so I should find something that will work for me.

I think I'd like to try a wine thief, but my LHBS only has plastic and I'd prefer stainless steel. That's been difficult to find in Canada.

Thanks, I'm going to practice with water. I should have done that first, but I didn't realize it would be so tricky (for me at least). My ladle method won't work with a carboy, so I should find something that will work for me.

I think I'd like to try a wine thief, but my LHBS only has plastic and I'd prefer stainless steel. That's been difficult to find in Canada.

I use a baster that I picked up at that grocery for $1.27, it leaks if held vertically so after I take my sample and tip it upside down as I remove it from the carboy so the sample moves into the bulb. No mess that way and if you don't return it to the fermenter, nothing to worry about from oxygenation. If you are sampling often and choose to return the sample, just be very gentle and place the baster tip underneath the surface of the wort when returning it. That at least limits contact with oxygen somewhat.

Back